cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

How to Mass Update a Custom Field?

Jump to solution

I watched an older Samanage video tutorial here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiCkRYCFkWE and it explained how to "Mass Update a newly created "Custom Field" with a value.

• But looking in my Service Desk under Computers, there is no option to choose custom fields?
  • What am I missing here?
  • 2020-09-29_11-32-16.jpg
1 Solution

Hi @jalexander7 -

Thanks for the screenshot. I went to test in my account and was able to find the text-based field (budget code) in the search for my columns: 
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 8.09.26 AM.png

If you go back to your Setup>Service Desk>Custom Fields, is that custom field set to active? If active it should appear and be searchable in your columns list, to add to your queue view. Additionally, be sure that that custom field has been enabled on the Computers Module (Setup>Service Desk>Custom Forms). 

I hope that helps! 
Liz

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Level 9

Hi @jalexander7 !

Good question. You are able to mass update custom fields that are not text-based: they must have specified values to select and apply in mass. For example, I have a checkbox field for if a computer was returned, along with a field for the "Department Device Loaned To" that is a dropdown.

In the attached screenshot you can see where I've added those fields:
Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 12.11.31 PM.png

I hope that helps! 
-Liz

Thanks for the update!

I'm needing to add a currency type custom field, but there are no currency fields types available?

0 Kudos

Hi @jalexander7 

We do not have currency as a field type when creating custom fields.  You would need to use a text field. I'll make sure to put this in as a feature request to have a currency type for custom fields/variables.

Thanks,

Jason

0 Kudos

Jason, thanks for the update & info!

One last question: So if I create a "custom field" for text, it cannot be "batch updated"... ok got that.

But why doesn't the "custom field" show up as an available attribute for Filtering and Columns?

2020-10-01_9-35-53.jpg

0 Kudos

Hi @jalexander7 -

Thanks for the screenshot. I went to test in my account and was able to find the text-based field (budget code) in the search for my columns: 
Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 8.09.26 AM.png

If you go back to your Setup>Service Desk>Custom Fields, is that custom field set to active? If active it should appear and be searchable in your columns list, to add to your queue view. Additionally, be sure that that custom field has been enabled on the Computers Module (Setup>Service Desk>Custom Forms). 

I hope that helps! 
Liz

View solution in original post

Liz, thanks for the extra details.. that resolved it!