This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Storage Report - Sum of two data series

Hi all,

I have created a Storage report which reports on two disk arrays. I have two data series: "Capacity Usable Total" and "Capacity Usable Used". This creates 4 lines on the resulting graph as expected (image attached). I would like to combine the sum total of Capacity Usable Total (array 1 + array 2) as well as the Capacity Usable Used (array 1 + array 2). This would produce two lines on the resulting graph.

I contacted SolarWinds support about this and they suggested I try to use the following SWQL query as my data source:

SELECT ObservationTimestamp, SUM(CapacityUserTotal) AS CapacityUserTotal, SUM(CapacityUserUsed) AS CapacityUserUsed, '' AS GroupField, '' AS LegendField

FROM Orion.SRM.StorageArrayCapacityStatistics

GROUP BY StorageArrayID, ObservationTimestamp

HAVING SUM(CapacityUserTotal) <> 0

This provided incorrect results, i.e. the calculated numbers did not accurately represent the sum of the two arrays. The support agent said: "I talked to our developers and this is truly a product limitation thus they are encouraging you to log into twack and raised your concern their and they will happy to assist you further." Reference: CUST-13273.

Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks!

Matt

• Hi,

would you try to update your query with this one and reply whether it displays data in way what you'd like to?

SELECT DateTrunc('hour', ObservationTimestamp) AS ObservationTimestamp, SUM(CapacityUserTotal) AS CapacityUserTotal, SUM(CapacityUserUsed) AS CapacityUserUsed, '' AS GroupField, '' AS LegendField

GROUP BY DateTrunc('hour', ObservationTimestamp)

HAVING SUM(CapacityUserTotal) <> 0

Thanks

Regards

Lubo

• Hi Lubo,

That definitely worked - thanks!

One other question - this is pulling data from ALL arrays I'm monitoring in SolarWinds. Is there an easy way to specify only specific arrays? I'm assuming I could simply add a WHERE clause, but I'm not familiar with the field names...

Thanks,

Matt

• Hi

yes, that should work also, you have two options:

First - update your query like this:

WHERE StorageArrayCapacityStatistics.StorageArray.DisplayName IN ('<name of your array>', '<name of your other array>', ...)

Second - update your query like this:

WHERE StorageArrayID IN (1, 2)

Here are advantages and disadvantages:

First:

Advantages: simpler, better visibility in query what arrays you have selected

Disadvantages: once you change name of your storage array, you have to adapt your query

Second:

Advantages: this query will safely work until you drop the array from the system or you re-add it into the SRM (IDs are changing in this way)

Disadvantages: you have to get StorageArrayID numbers of storage arrays you would like to use in report (small hint: click on Storage Array to navigate to its detail page and you'll see its StorageArrayID in your browser url: e.g. "...NetObject=SMSA:<this number is StorageArrayID you should use>")

Regards

Lubo