This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SRM 6.2 install?

I've got NPM 11.5 and SAM 6.2 running, as well as NTA 4.  We just picked up SRM 6.2, and I'd like to integrate it to my web console.

When I installed SRM 6.2 on a new server, I went to tell it to use our existing Solarwinds Database, and it said something which looked like a warning to start an entirely new database.

Did I read this right?  Does it really take an entirely different database, or can I use my existing database?  I thought the whole idea was to share schema and data...?

• You can integrate SRM with your existing SolarWinds suite (use same database as Orion) but if SRM is installed on a different server, then you will need to use a different database.

• Tremendously confused.  I installed it on a different server because it said in the instructions that I couldn't install it on the same server.  Now I find that if I use it on a different server I have to use a different database.

Will they still share data?  I can still get all the info I need in a single appstack?

• The source of confusion maybe the 2 flavors of SRM - SRM Profiler (legacy) and SRM Orion (new and shiny). Maybe you can point me to the exact source of the documentation that is saying it is recommended to be installed on a separate machine to provide a more pointed response. The recommendation is more than likely related to SRM Profiler.

SRM Orion is just like your other Orion products - NPM, NTA, SAM, etc. If you install an Orion product on the same server as other Orion products, it will simply use the same database and add any relevant tables to the new product. If you are attempting a standalone installation of SRM (not on the same machine as NPM, NTA, SRM or any other Orion product for that matter), you must use a different database even if it's going to be on the same SQL server instance as your existing NPM/NTA/SAM database.

If one of the reasons you are installing SRM is to see AppStack in action, then install SRM Orion on the same machine as SAM.

• Are you saying if I run SRM Orion on a separate server I won't see all the results in my AppStack?  That I will need to use separate web consoles for SRM and SAM/NPM?  So no tab for SRM in my main console?

Yes, I am confused by the difference between SRM Profiler and SRM Orion....though I'm pretty sure it is the new one because I just downloaded it...and until I downloaded it, I had no SRM at all.

I admit I'm new with the Orion suite, so my goals may not be consistent with the actual facts...but I worry about overloading my main server so I really wanted to have several servers and spread out these products over them.  I had three servers: my main poller which I have NPM and SAM on, my second server, which I originally used for an additional poller but recently put NTA on, and a third machine which I use as a trap receiver and also run Kiwi on.  I recently created a fourth box, which I did after I attempted to load SRM on my second box and (I seem to recall) read opening instructions to the effect of, "If you have other products on this box, you'll need to install this product on a separate box"...but when I started loading it on my second box, it requires a completely separate database, which was when I put the brakes on.

• First we'll need a better understanding of what exactly you installed. Which of the two following screenshots does the product you installed look like?

STM/Storage Manager (AKA Storage Profiler)

702974249001_3308919052001_Storage-Manager-Guided-Tour---Video-Still.jpg?pubId=702974249001

SRM/Storage Resource Monitor

1502_SRM_SRM_screenshot_screenshot_kd.png

• Storage Manager (STM) has been rebranded to Storage Resource Monitor (SRM).

SRM has 2 modules namely "SRM Profiler" and "SRM Orion". They are 2 separate products but uses one license key.

SRM Profiler is the one we recommend to be installed on a separate host as it uses a different database (MYSQL) which is built-in to the app.

SRM Orion is the one that you can integrate with your main Orion server and utilize appstack

So.. which one is it that you installed? Or would like to install? emoticons_happy.png

• I haven't installed anything yet - well, I haven't finished installing.  I began the install on a clean box, licensed it, and when I started configuration, I hit a snag.  It wants its own database.  A database different than my main Orion install uses.

Ideally, I would like to install SRM which integrates with Orion, so I can get the integration with AppStack.

My main poller is running NPM and SAM.  I hesitate to put SRM on it because I don't know if it's going to overload the box.  NPM and SAM manage to consume about 3/4 of an 8 CPU 12GB box.

So I determined to set it up on one of my secondary pollers, of which I had two. But when I went to put it on my second poller, the install said, "If you have other Solarwinds Orion products on this box, you'll need to load it on another box."--which I did, I have the secondary polling software for both SAM and NPM.  On my third polling box, I have a trap reciever and Kiwi.  Thus, I created a fourth box, and went to load it on there.  But when I did that, it said, "Create another database because you can't use your main database".

Which puts me back at square one: Am I going to have to load SRM on my main poller so I can use the same database for all my Orion products?

• Yes, if you want integration, you need to install SRM on the main Orion poller.

Jiri

• I doubt it says "you will *need* to install on another box". It is only a suggestion. Like any other Orion product and additional polling engines, you will need to first install the product on the main server and license it (evaluation or production license). Then install the necessary files on the additional polling engine

So this is what you can do to offload SRM polling to your additional polling engine

- install SRM on your SAM server

- install additional polling engine for SRM on your additional polling engine

- add storage objects for monitoring and assign them to the additional polling engine

• Can you show us at least the type of installer you are using?  Screenshot of the installer should be fine..