This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SQL Server Application Group

FormerMember
FormerMember

I have 40 sql servers running sql 2000, 2005, 2008 mostly the latter; running on W2K3, and W2K8R2 (mostly the latter).  I have added them to the application group for sql servers; they also are running the Profiler Agent 4.12; the appropriate port is provided for whichever instance is on the sql server -- for security reasons the sqldba uses ports that are not the default.  However, less than half of the servers provide results other than disk, cpu, memory, .. in other words there is no data regarding the databases themselves.  I have burned out a number of brain cells trying to troubleshoot the problem.  Has anyone else had the same issue and been able to resolve it?

• You would have to setup each SQL server instance via the Settings --> Getting Started pages.  The information is gathered directly from the Profiler Server (not via the agents loaded on your SQL Servers).  The Profiler service resposible for this data collection is called Profiler Poller

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to HolyGuacamole

Thank you for the quick reply.  I have just started posting to Thwack. 

In fact each of the instances I have set up for Application Group SQL Servers are set up separately  Settings -> All Resources -> Choose Type "Application SQL Server" -> Add.  Some Sql servers have more than one instance, each with their own port .. so this was necessary.  I read that the agent is not needed, but nonetheless it is installed... but I don't believe it should interfere with the application work.  Point is, I have only 16 of 40 reporting on their database instances.  The rest Collect data on a regular basis (so it says) yet nothing appears in the charts.

Puzzled.

• If you are sure there is nothing blocking access from the Profiler Server to each of the DB instances that is not reporting information, then go ahead and grab diagnostics for any of the missing ones and open a support ticket. The logs would have to reviewed.

You are right. Having an agent will not interfere with the application work.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to HolyGuacamole

thank you for the recommendation; I will contact their support mailbox with a diagnostic report.

I like Profiler, when it works!  I have so many instances where for instance I have installed the agent on many servers (111 so far); within a few minutes the majority of them report in, and statistics are accumlated.  But there is always an annoying few that for no good reason that I can determine do not.  Solarwinds HelpDesk often says to check out Thwack entries first, which is ok if you are good at key words.  Profiler doesn't seem to have the granular tuning that Orion does; it is one for all type of settings.