This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SM and vSphere: Poll vCenter only?

Looking for some tips on setting up SM to monitor storage metrics for a vSphere environment. Storage Manager has been deployed already, but it's trying to collect data from vCenter AND the hosts themselves. Is this overkill? Do most people just pull data from vCenter? I'd rather not configure another login on all of my ESXi hosts unless I really have to.

Thanks!

• You can normally poll against just your vCenters and be ok.  The recommended count for the number of VM's that you can enumerate from a single server (or proxy agent) is about 300 (give or take).  The sizing information is included in Chapter 5 of the Storage Manager Administration Guide.  Depending on your version of Storage Manager and the version of vCenter, you may need to tweak your polling intervals to allow for larger data sets.  Start with just polling the vCenters and see where that gets you.  If you have any further questions, please feel free to raise them here.

Thanks,

KMSigma

• Thanks! Man, Twitter first, now Thwack? Awesome.

I looked at the sizing guide earlier today. SM runs on a VM that has 8 vCPUs and 16GB of memory. Seems like a lot of system resources for a monitoring application. We're about 60 hosts and ~650 VMs, on vSphere 5.0.

I'll keep working on this tomorrow. It's more than likely a training / education / RTFM issue on the storage side. Thanks again for the help!

• Us "Baltimorons" have to stick together!  I moved to Austin to work for SolarWinds, but I was born & bred in Charm City.

Seriously though - if you need assistance in configuring or scaling it correctly, don't hesitate to open up a support case.  Our team is excellent.