This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Report Request - Storage by User & File Type with Path

A customer has asked me for a report that lists the storage file analysis results by file type and articulates the full path of the files.  Is this possible?  I've searched through most of the reports and seem to be able to get either a list of files with the root directory or a list of all large files with directory path.  What I am after is a subset of files (ie MP3, pst, etc.) with the same level of detail that the large files report provides.

Anyone out there figured this out and want to save me a few brain cells?

Thanks,

Josh

• Just as an update, I wonder if I have to enable the **Directory analysis enabled flag (which defaults to false) under the advanced analysis options?  I'm going to try it and I'll post back to let you know.

Cheers.

• OK -- well that wasn't what I was after, but it did give me a few more minutes to push down another path.  The File Rules Detail report is the report that I am after, however, I haven't quite got the File Analysis Rule built just yet to make it work.  I am on the right path though!

Anyone with experience building file analysis rules want to weigh in on how to build a rule to scan for MP3 files?

Thanks

Answer:  With a little searching (once I figured out what I was searching for!) and I found this solution.

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/community/solarwinds-community/product-blog/blog/2011/03/16/rule-your-files

The key is that all new rules must be specified under a policy before they can be used to run reports.  In my case, I simply used the default OS policy and applied my MP3 rule.  Customer happy!