cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmiller_hockey
Level 10

Monitor Windows 2012 Hyper V Cluster That Uses NetApp for Storage

Being a noob here but man this is confusing especially when I know squat about NetApps.

What's the easiest way to do this?

Thanks!

Todd

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
KMSigma Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Monitor Windows 2012 Hyper V Cluster That Uses NetApp for Storage

Don't worry tmiller_hockey, we were all n00bs once.

Let me see if I have a correct understanding of your situation (please correct me when I go off on a tangent)...

You have (at least) 2x Windows 2012 (are they R2?) Servers running the Hyper-V Role.  These servers have independent boot drives, but have data drives (either as mounted letter drives or as mount points) which are stored on your NetApp infrastructure.  The mappings are identical among all of your Hyper-V Servers (which are cluster members).  Presumably, the systems have multiple NIC's dedicated to storage, VLANs, Management, etc.

Couple of questions that I have:

1) How is the storage being presented to the Windows Servers?

2) Are you already monitoring the NetApp storage?

3) If 2 is "Yes", then is there a reason that you want to specifically monitor the storage on this Windows cluster as opposed to just watching the NetApp storage?

"Shoot for the stars to reach the moon"
0 Kudos
tmiller_hockey
Level 10

Thanks for the response.

Our infrastructure is as such:

8 Windows Hyper V Hosts in cluster

Common Storage from Netapp ie Vol 1 - 9

Presented as a LUN to Hyper-V hosts.

We have Virtualization manager as well and want to tie in the capacity planning for storage from STM.  Our San Admin does monitor it himself but isn't very forthcoming with info and doesn't like the fact we bought STM even though it wasn't his decision.  It was his directors decision.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
dsbalcau
Level 14

Hi tmiller_hockey,

We should have you covered with the new Orion Storage module + VMAN that is soon to be released. We will tie together your storage from the NetApp to the Hyper-V environment if you are monitoring NetApp with the Orion module and Hyper-V with VMAN and have the Orion integration turned on. SRM will trend and forecast your NetApp volumes/aggregates/etc. and allow you to get a view of your environment wide capacity.

Have you got your Hyper-V environment added to Virtualization Manager?

If I were you I would keep an eye open for announcements on these two forums:

0 Kudos
tmiller_hockey
Level 10

We have Storage Manager and Vman but the Storage Manager install process is quite a task for a non storage person.Our storage guy doesn't like the fact we bought it even though his boss is the one who ok'd it.

0 Kudos
dsbalcau
Level 14

Hi tmiller_hockey,

Well, if you guys are a NetApp only shop for storage, you can install all on Orion now vs the legacy Storage Manager install: Dreams Come True - Storage on Orion is now in Release Candidate!

Let us know if you have any troubles integrating the new SRM Orion Module and Virtualization Manager. The mapping should happen automatically for you if both sides are polling data correctly.

0 Kudos