This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

MIB for SRM

We have configured thresholds alerts in SolarWinds SRM for capacity, peformance of storage devices. The trigger actions are email alert and SNMP trap forwarding. For trap forwarding, we have provided IBM Netcool as remote trap destination. On Netcool side, they are able to receive the traps but cannot parse it as it is showing "Enterprise ID not found". We have gone through few community links where we found that that MIB file for SolarWinds SRM is located in "\Program Files\SolarWinds\Common\". Found two files "SolarWinds-Traps.MIB" and "SolarWinds-Products.MIB" and shared with Netcool team. They informed they are not able to parse the MIBs. Moreover, if we open those MIBs it tells 'DESCRIPTION "This MIB Module defines the generic traps generated by SolarWinds Orion Network Performance Monitor."' Need to confirm if this MIBs will work for SRM tool as well and we have identifiers to define storage metrics in those MIBs. Need expert view on this.

• Hi,

is it exactly as in the description. The MIBs is related mainly to Network Performance Monitor and modules based on nodes. SRM is based on storage arrays and SRM does not use MIB file and also does not have any specification in the the file.

Regards

Lubo

• Hi Lubomir,

Let me rephrase my question. I've configured SRM threshold alerting like "Array Operational Status" / "LUN Response time" / "Disk Operational Status" / "Pool Capacity Threshold exceed" etc. In trigger action for each alert, i've configured "Email alert" and "SNMP trap". For SNMP trap, i've have provided IP of remote trap destination (Netcool server), Trap template: "Orion-Detailed-Alert", SNMP version SNMP1, Community String "Public". Configured the same for Reset Trigger Action as well.

Based on this configuration, we are getting traps from SRM to Netcool. But they are not able to parse this traps.

Now when you say SRM does not use MIB file then how the traps will be parsed in remote trap destination? How the OIDs sent through traps by SRM will be identified in remote trap destination? Please let me know.

• Hi,

I have actually got your point, in SRM it is possible to specify alerts and traps as action, but what SRM does not currently have is the definition in MIBs. SRM does not have any OIDs specification, so the traps parsing cannot be done now.

I can create a feature request for you and if there is more users having the same use case as you have, product manager can review it.

Regards

Lubo

• Thanks got it! As suggested, please add this as feature request.

• Hi,

the feature request is created now and is open for voting:

Regards

Lubo

• We use another tool for our 24x7 NOC to raise alerts to "board" the operators monitor. I need to be able to forward alerts from devices or other monitoring tools to this NOC tool. When I saw that I could forward an Alert in SRM as an SNMP trap I figured this was how I was going to accommodate that requirement. It seems however I was wrong and when Googling for a solution I found this thread.

When will be be able to include SRM specific variables in the SNMP trap mechanism in Alerts?

Thank you.

• You can insert SRM specific variables into the SNMP trap message, but the destination system won't be able to parse the message.

Variable-in-Alert.png

Jiri