cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

Explenation of % Utilization

Can anyone explain how the "% Utilization" statistics are calculated within Storage Profiler? Is this based on IO and the speed of the disks? Does Profiler take into consideration what type of spindles are being used?

It would be awesome if there was a document somewhere that explained what all the chart items (statistics) were and how they are calculated. Anyone aware of this? Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Product Manager
Product Manager

In general, performance statistics are provided by the data source (smi-s, api, snmp, etc.) and the only calculations we would perform are rates and hourly/daily/weekly/monthly rollup.  Can you be more specific on what you are looking at (a screenshot would help as well). 

Brian

0 Kudos

I referring to the SAN/Storage-Array performance graphs. One of the Chart options is "% Utilization".

0 Kudos

Looking at a couple of sources, the best definition I found was "The approximate utilization percentage for a particular component over a particular time interval.".

Let me know what array you are collecting data for, and I may be able to get more specific.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Bump. Surely theres someone from SolarWinds that can explain this.

0 Kudos