This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

EMC Enabler causes VNX5300/5400 to enter unknown state

Good Morning!

I've noticed since we've setup SRM to work with our several EMC VNX's (x2 5300, x3 5400) that we'll lose polling on our VNX's after about 2 weeks or so. The short-term solution has been to reboot the enabler and kick off polling again, at which time all services are restored. The only variable in common appears to be that it's after backups have completed for the evening for all of our servers (Enablers aren't backed up) - I can see the iOPS spike during the work, then they normalize and boom I lose them.

I'm running the virtual appliance enabler, v7.6.2.40 on all of these. For the 5300's there's no file level storage, but we do that for all the 5400's. So the common theme here is the enabler has some sort of issue but it's not consistent.

Hardware specs for our enablers across the board below, however hardware is average across the board for performance, so I don't think the data show it being a resource constraint on the enabler at this time.

pastedImage_0.png

In working with the storage admins, there's nothing that appears to be going on with the storage itself around the time of us losing polling - but I'm continuing to ask as we roll through the 5 locations and I lose polling. Any suggestions on what to try to help? Anything I could specifically ask of my Storage Admins?

• Hi,

I have come across this recommendation from EMC docs:

"EMC recommends no more than five Symmetrix or CLARiiON storage systems

per SMI-S Array Provider when used with VMM. EMC also recommends using the

64-bit version of the SMI-S Array Provider along with a multicore server with a

minimum of 8 GB physical memory."

Maybe to set up a separate SMI-S provider migrate a single Clariion and test its stability.

• I'm upping the hardware to see if it helps. We only have 2 Clariion devices per SMIS already, and we are on the 64-bit. Hopefully 2 cores and 8gb will offer some improvement.