This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What causes /usr/local volume to grow and change size?

I enabled the built in rule for SolarWinds Disk Warnings.  I learned how to change the limits on the rule from the CMC.  My question is I've noticed the /usr/local partition growing and changing sizes... does anyone know what makes /usr/local grow like this and does the LEM appliance manage this somehow?  It seems to grow and I was wondering does LEM also shrink or reduce the usage on /usr/local?

• Do I need to start messing with /usr/local or will LEM do something about it growing to fast... otherwise I'm afraid /usr/local may blow up?  I know from my own experience that if you harden a linux box like I/we do where I work it'll halt if it can't write to a partition.  I may have to open another case as it's showing 2.7/2.9G and 97% full.

• Please do not mess with /usr/local that is why it is a hardened linux box / closed system.

Best options if you are worried:

1. Make sure you are on the latest version of LEM.  It does help things out to help auto-correct things.

2. the logs in /usr/local are typically growing because of the manager.log file.  Did someone increase debugging of are you getting a ton of errors? 

3. If you are worried give support a call and they would be happy to take a look

• Thanks I was almost thinking I need to get my unique appliance root password from support just so I can figure out why /usr/local is growing.  I don't even have very complex rules or anything yet.  I'm on 6.4 right now.

• Your rules shouldn't have any impact on usr\local unless they're generating errors.

In addition to what wolram​ said, you can see the manager log without needing the unique root password.  In your CMC menu, go to the manager section and run the "watchlog" command.  You'll also be able to get a dump of the manager logs by running the debug command and providing a CIFS share.  The LEM logs are usually pretty human friendly, so if there are any errors or warnings, they'll leap out pretty quick.  LEM rotates those logs on a schedule, so as soon as any issues are resolved, you should see disk usage begin to drop off.

• For all that commented I did open a case with support and Sean helped me figure it was the apache web server logs that show all the accesses to the webserver.  It shows IP address and path with either GET or PUT... For me it was my machine doing like 600k GET's to some weird path... it did this for like 6 or 7 days then went back to normal.  My /usr/local is now 45% instead of 97%.  I did have to login as root to find them and get them deleted.  LEM is an interesting product.  I like that it's on linux and not windows.  My last log collector was windows based.