This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SQL Auditor problems

We recently fired up a new virtual SQL server (2008 R2) and need to start auditing sql authentication failures. I went to set it up the same as the other SQL (2008 R2 also) server, which we are auditing currently, and got this error message: You do not have permission to run 'FN_TRACE_GETINFO' when testing the Auditor connection. We have our SQL auditor program running on a separate server. I tried using the local account setting, the domain admin account, and my account to no luck.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

• Had to give our domain admin account access in the SQL database to alter trace permissions then it went through.

• Hi,

I have a different Problem. We also use a central server for auditing SQL Servers. The connection test works properly but the auditor not fires up. After A while the error message says I do not have the correct permissions and should check the permissions.

Any Idea if there are logfiles to look after?

I reinstalled the Auditor and installed .Net 2.0 no it seems to run but it isn't:

EventLog says:

Thread ID: 00

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo, Version=13.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

File name: 'Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo, Version=13.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91'

at MSSQLAuditor.SQLTraceThread..ctor(Int32 iInst, String sSrvr, String sTDFF, MSSQLAuditor msaLog, Int32 iConnectDelay)

at MSSQLAuditor.MSSQLAuditor.OnStart(String[] args)

The Profiler-Template is created. and in the tdf directory.

Kind regards,

Ralf

• I encountered the same problem recently on a new server which runs on Windows Server 2016 and MSSQL 2017.

It seems like MSSQL Auditor still does not support MSSQL 2017, which is surprising, given how long it is around

MS SQL Auditor for MS SQL 2017

• Yep this was the issue.

I deinstalled SQL Server Manager 2017 (and Profiler) and installed 2016 latest release and now I can audit a SQL 2016 DB. Interesting is that MS says the the auditor from the 2017 Studio supports SQL Server 2016.

Kind regards,

Ralf