This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

vCenter Polling with SW Agent

Hi,

Can anybody tell me if the SolarWinds Agent can poll vCenter if its installed on the vCenter server itself?

Just to give you an idea of what im trying to achieve here.

I am using agents on servers in my DMZ (Behind firewalls) in which no ports are being dropped for the servers in question (ive had my firewall guys monitor the traffic between poller and vCenter)

I have a main poller on my LAN which polls the LAN vCenters without an issue (Monitoring vCenter Servers via WMI)

I have a poller in the DMZ which talks to my DMZ servers via the Agent and then feeds back to my main poller.

It seems that i can monitor the server in the DMZ and get its usual CPU, Memory & disk space etc from the agent and i added the server in question with the 'Poll for VMware' option.

Now, its picked up that its a vCenter but for some reason the whole thing is in an unknown state, its not returning the names of my ESXI hosts attached to that vCenter nor the Virtual machines that are running on them.

One difference is that my LAN vCenters are obviously on a domain but my DMZ vCenter is on workgroup with local logins.

When i hit the 'Test Credentials' against the vCenter on the node page it comes back successful yet it still sits in an unknown state with no information from VMware for me.

Anybody else got the same problem or has seen this before?

I've checked all the usual logs and i dont seem to see anything stick out - unless somebody knows which exact log file this stuff will be logging in.

Kind Regards.

L.