This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

new installation and I can't install an ape

I'm new to SolarWinds.  I just did a new install of SAM on a Windows 2016 server.  I elected to install to the E drive instead of the C.  Everything went fine without error and I can log into Orion without issue.  We anticipated needing an additional ape because of the amount of monitors we need.  So I setup another server in the same vlan as the Orion server to act as the ape.  There is no connectivity issues between the two servers.  When I run the Orion installer on the ape, select Add a Scalability Engine, add the requested information, and select next I get an error.

pastedImage_0.png

I additionally ran through the steps in this kb for installing an ape and that has issues also.  I'm concerned that an out of the box installation is already having significant issues - https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Orion_Platform/Orion_Documentation/SolarWinds_Orion_Installer/Install_an_Additional_Polling_Engine_Additional_Web_Server_or_HA_server

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks

• Are you not able to reach the main poller from the APE? Can you disable the firewall and see if that resolves the issue?

• rgivens  wrote:

I'm new to SolarWinds.  I just did a new install of SAM on a Windows 2016 server.  I elected to install to the E drive instead of the C.  Everything went fine without error and I can log into Orion without issue.  We anticipated needing an additional ape because of the amount of monitors we need.  So I setup another server in the same vlan as the Orion server to act as the ape.  There is no connectivity issues between the two servers.  When I run the Orion installer on the ape, select Add a Scalability Engine, add the requested information, and select next I get an error.

pastedImage_0.png

I additionally ran through the steps in this kb for installing an ape and that has issues also.  I'm concerned that an out of the box installation is already having significant issues - https://support.solarwinds.com/Success_Center/Orion_Platform/Orion_Documentation/SolarWinds_Orion_Installer/Install_an_Additional_Polling_Engine_Additional_Web_Server_or_HA_server

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks

Try restarting the SolarWinds Administration Service on the main polling engine in the dependencies section of the Orion Service Manager

pastedImage_2.png

If that doesn't work, please submit a support ticket, so we can have access to your diagnostics.

• You wouldn't happen to have the windows firewalls running would you?  Try turning them off and see if this fixes the problem.  The admin guide lists all the ports you need enabled if you want to create a rule.  I can't imagine how this could happen unless some ports are being blocked.

• It isn't a firewall issue.  I think I figured it out.  During the initial install of SAM it requests for a location to install the bits.  I changed the location to E:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion from the default.  I didn't create this location though.  I assumed it would create the directory during the installation process.  It didn't though and installed everything into C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion.  The installer somehow must have configured something in the application for the E drive though because when I went to run the installer for the additional polling engine it was complaining about not being able to get installer metadata.  I presume it was looking for something on the E drive.  So I started over and manually created the directory E:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion and ran the install again.  It installed all the components to the E drive as I verified there was actually folders and files there.  I then went to the server where I wanted to install the additional polling engine and ran the installer and it installed successfully.

• rgivens  wrote:

It isn't a firewall issue.  I think I figured it out.  During the initial install of SAM it requests for a location to install the bits.  I changed the location to E:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion from the default.  I didn't create this location though.  I assumed it would create the directory during the installation process.  It didn't though and installed everything into C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion.  The installer somehow must have configured something in the application for the E drive though because when I went to run the installer for the additional polling engine it was complaining about not being able to get installer metadata.  I presume it was looking for something on the E drive.  So I started over and manually created the directory E:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion and ran the install again.  It installed all the components to the E drive as I verified there was actually folders and files there.  I then went to the server where I wanted to install the additional polling engine and ran the installer and it installed successfully.

Thanks for following up with these details. I will create a ticket for our internal team to improve this particular functionality.

• You'd think it would create the directory but somehow this doesn't really surprise me.

• There must be something weird about your environment because I can assure you, it normally does create the install directory on it's own. I've installed in at least 100 environments and never had an issue with it completing the install, but not actually creating the directory.  This gets back to the reason why they recommend you execute the installer under a local admin account on the server, to minimize the chance of unusual security or access policies jamming things up.

• It wasn't mine it was rgivens​ that had the problem.

• There is nothing weird about my environment and it clearly didn't create the directory.  Additionally, I did run the installer as a local administrator.  I easily duplicated the issue several times.

• Interesting, to be fair I haven't installed a fresh environment since mid November, but it definitely created the necessary directories automatically on 12 different servers I installed that day.  Maybe something different in the latest release of the installer, but this is still pretty unusual.