This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

looking for easier way to browse event viewer

More and more I am being asked to have solarwinds throw out alerts when an event is written to the system or application log on a windows box.  I know APM can do this by using a VBS script, but it's ugly.  I am not a VB guy, and I don't want to take a lot of time to program that script to look for a specific event that occurred more that 5 times in the past hour.  I've done it once or twice, but it took me a long time to get working.

Many apps. may not have the ability to send a trap, so I'm forced to look thru an event log.  I am hoping APM can come up with a more user friendly way to do this.

• Tim,

If I understand what you've been doing, you can get a Windows Event Log Count template working, but it takes a lot of trial and error on your part to get the 'script arguments' field configured to monitor the logs for the event you need to watch for. It was fine when you were asked to just look for a couple of events, but now that folks know you can do this, you're finding yourself asked to spend a disproportionate amount of time setting up Event Log monitors.

I'll run this up as a feature request. 

And just to see if I've got the kind of improvement you have in mind: you're requesting that we polish this template up and make it a component monitor in its own right with individual options to configure? Perhaps even a Wizard of some kind that could scan the existing event logs on a server and let you pick out the kinds of events you want to alert on?

• There is also an alternative:  Install the SolarWinds Log Forwarder for Windows on each Windows box that has events you need to monitor, and use it to forward those events to a Syslog server. You can then use Orion NPM to filter and alert on Syslog messages, and not use Orion APM at all for this.

The downside is that you do have to install the SolarWinds Log Forwarder program on each computer, so it's not an agent-less solution.

You can find the SolarWinds Log Forwarder in your SolarWinds customer portal. Look for:  Additional Components > Download Orion NPM Components > Log Forwarder for Windows.

• To answer your question... yes!  I would love to see a component monitor with options or some type of wizard.  That would be absolutely perfect.

Also, thanks for the suggestion about sending the events to a syslog.   Thought about that myself, but didn't want to install agents on hundreds of machines.  I may have to if these requests keep coming in. 

Thanks again.