cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

Windows Service Monitor - Unexpected error occured. Invalid class

I have a host that shows the error message "Unexpected error occured. Invalid class" for all Windows Service Monitors (using the application template Windows 2003-2008 so DTC, Network Connections, Protected Storage and Remote Registry).

I've tried the wmiadap /f command and rebuilt the WMI repository, etc to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

27 Replies
Level 15

Also this KB may help.

0 Kudos
Level 8

has anyone got this problem sorted? I am experiencing the same issue while monitoring Windows NT 4 server services using SAM (unexpected error occured, invalid class)

0 Kudos

Hello,

Please look at the following post if this the same problem that you have:

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/105102#105102

Kind Regards,

Lukas Belza (SolarWinds development)

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply, I didnt find

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\PerfProc\Performance

on the NT server....

Best Regards,

Lu Wang (Roy)

HLWP Control Systems Group

B868.1 Upper Floor

Sellafield Ltd

Tel: 019467-87629

lu.wang@sellafieldsites.com

"lukas.belza" <solarwindscommunityteam@communications.solarwinds.com>

23/08/2012 13:48

Please respond to

jive-855669130-36kw-2-3u9b@solarwinds.hosted.jivesoftware.com

To

Lu Wang/Sellafield/SellafieldLtd@MAIL

cc

Subject

Re: - Windows Service Monitor - Unexpected

error occured. Invalid class

thwack

Windows Service Monitor - Unexpected error occured. Invalid class

created by lukas.belza in Server & Application Monitor - View the full

discussion

Hello,

Please look at the following post if this the same problem that you have:

http://thwack.solarwinds.com/message/105102#105102

Kind Regards,

Lukas Belza (SolarWinds development)

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on

thwack

Start a new discussion in Server & Application Monitor by email or at

thwack

This message was received by the Sellafield.Site Internet Email Gateway

and was checked for Viruses and SPAM by the MessageLabs Email Management

Service.

Please forward any suspicious or unwanted emails to "Spam Helpdesk"

"The information contained in this email may be commercially sensitive and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not a named recipient, you are on notice of its status. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message from your system. You must not disclose it to any other person, copy or distribute it or use it for any purpose.

Views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Sellafield Ltd.

Sellafield Ltd, a company owned by Nuclear Management Partners Ltd, is registered in England and Wales, Company number 1002607. The registered office is situated at Booths Park, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ."

0 Kudos

Possibly the only way to monitor Processes and Services on Windows NT servers using SAM would be with Windows Performance Counters. Use the "Find Processes, Services, and Performance Counters" wizard to walk through monitoring of the processes you'd like monitored. Below are examples of what I setup on the NT4 machine in my lab.

NT Process Monitoring.png

NT Process Monitoring Results.png

0 Kudos

I managed to monitor NT services using WMI, but I am struggling to do so with SNMP without wmi been installed ( is it even possible?), I got in touch with solarwinds technical support and according to him, wmi MUST be installed for service monitoring to happen...

I am confused!!!!!!!
please clarify anyone

0 Kudos

No it's not possible to monitor processes running on Windows NT hosts via SNMP. The method above uses RPC not WMI, so WMI is not required to be installed on the server.

0 Kudos

Thanks aLTeReGo, performance counter monitor worked OK on the NT server, it s a good way to work around the problem.. cheers

0 Kudos
Level 10

Getting similar issues with the Windows Process Monitor as well, I'm trying to monitor w3wp.exe on a server the component keeps going into "unknown status" with "unexpected error occured.  Invalid class"

I guess first of all, what WMI call does Solarwinds to determine if the process is running?  Does it use Win32_Process in \root\CIMv2?

On wbemtester I see Win32_Process in the query result (as explained in the APM WMI Troubleshooting Guide) both locally on the server and remotely.  I've validated the credentials for my service account are correct and using wmic from the APM server confirmed that it can access the server (wmic /node: nodename /user: domain\username /password: password process get name) and see the w3wp.exe process.

Also when I browse for components in APM I get this:

So I am clearly able to access the box via WMI.  So a bit more information on how APM gets process information and how it's able to generate a list of processes in the Browse Components wizard but not as a Process Monitor - WMI.

0 Kudos

Did you ever figure out how to reset this?  I have this exact same problem.

0 Kudos

natem--

Which post are you referring to that has the same problem you do?

M

0 Kudos
Level 7

I am having the same issue with a Windows 2008 x64 SP2 (not R2).  I tried both Process and Service monitors and they don't work.  The SNMP Process monitor does work however... but I'd like to get WMI working on this 2008 server.

I am able to browse root\cimv2 with WMI Explorer using the credentials I have set in APM.

The error I'm getting in APM is:

• Testing on node INTRANET: failed with 'Undefined' status
    Invalid class

When I leave out the credential in APM I get this:

• Testing on node INTRANET: failed with 'Undefined' status
    Unable to connect to server "172.24.12.8" as user "".

I've gone through all the steps in the http://www.solarwinds.com/support/apm/docs/APMWMITroubleshooting.pdf document and still have the issue.

0 Kudos

I'm having same problem. Anyone find a fix for this. WMI is working just fine. Only Windows 2008 R2 servers are having trouble.

0 Kudos

Please open a support ticket and reference this thread.

-Craig

0 Kudos

Just saw I was responding to myself. I'll open ticket.

0 Kudos

Did anyone get an answer to this? it is a regular occurence.  I have to logon to the servers in question, restart teh remote registry or Protected sotrage services alot and it makes the stats very skewed.

I now have a problem that shows:

Testing on node NHC0-PUR-DBC001 - Default SQL (NHC0-PUR-CLS001): failed with 'Undefined' status

Out of memory

Not seen out of memory before- this is on a cluster resource.

0 Kudos

Recently upgraded to APM 4.0.2 (module), application template Lync2010 was working fine on several servers using WMI. Just stopped same error "Undefined" status - out of memory on 1 of 6 servers being monitored. No issues found on Orion infrastructure, or with server that this template was running against.

Was anymore info / possible causes found regarding this error condition ?

0 Kudos

I had the exact same issue referenced above; where you could browse the WMI services/processes but APM gave an invalid class.

Here's what fixed it:

On the server you're trying to monitor pop open Regedit and go to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfProc\Performance

Look for a REG_DWORD called 'Disable Performance Counters' and make sure that it's not set to 1. If so, either set it to 0 or delete it. Then restart the winmgmt service.

You're a lifesaver...  SW support hasn't even close to helping resolve this issue and this worked like a charm!!  So thankful!!

This resolved my problem as well.  Thanks so much Damien.

0 Kudos