This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Windows Service Monitor - Unexpected error occured. Invalid class

I have a host that shows the error message "Unexpected error occured. Invalid class" for all Windows Service Monitors (using the application template Windows 2003-2008 so DTC, Network Connections, Protected Storage and Remote Registry).

I've tried the wmiadap /f command and rebuilt the WMI repository, etc to no avail.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Old, I know. Anyone have any ideas on this though? I'm having a similar problem

• justin0469,

you ever use the tool WMI EXPLORER (KS-Soft) - wmiexplorer.exe? it's a good tool to confirm and troubleshoot WMI on servers.

try to find it and connect to the same system and see what CLASSES you will get on that system. of course you'll have to authenticate to it remotely.

here's what it looks like navigating to DTC

i'm curious if you get any errors outside of APM with using this and your credentials at the same time.

• I am having the same issue with a Windows 2008 x64 SP2 (not R2).  I tried both Process and Service monitors and they don't work.  The SNMP Process monitor does work however... but I'd like to get WMI working on this 2008 server.

I am able to browse root\cimv2 with WMI Explorer using the credentials I have set in APM.

The error I'm getting in APM is:

• Testing on node INTRANET: failed with 'Undefined' status
      Invalid class

When I leave out the credential in APM I get this:

• Testing on node INTRANET: failed with 'Undefined' status
      Unable to connect to server "172.24.12.8" as user "".

I've gone through all the steps in the http://www.solarwinds.com/support/apm/docs/APMWMITroubleshooting.pdf document and still have the issue.

• I'm having same problem. Anyone find a fix for this. WMI is working just fine. Only Windows 2008 R2 servers are having trouble.

• Please open a support ticket and reference this thread.

-Craig

• Just saw I was responding to myself. I'll open ticket.

• Did anyone get an answer to this? it is a regular occurence.  I have to logon to the servers in question, restart teh remote registry or Protected sotrage services alot and it makes the stats very skewed.

I now have a problem that shows:

Testing on node NHC0-PUR-DBC001 - Default SQL (NHC0-PUR-CLS001): failed with 'Undefined' status

Out of memory

Not seen out of memory before- this is on a cluster resource.

• Hi All.
    Anything further on this?
    My Exchange monitor goes into "unknown" status several times each day, and drilling down & testing indivudual components brings up 2 errors:

failed with 'Undefined' status - Process not found
    failed with 'Undefined' status - out of memory.

My monitoring server is averaging 25% memory use and my Exchange server 85%, which is normal.
    When I check my Exchange server then all services are running, there are no errors, and WMI & SNMP are OK.

Thanks,

Gareth.

• Bump. I just saw a similar issue today. I have a template assigned to one of my SQL servers. The template has a WMI service monitor. This one WMI monitor monitors the SQL server process. It was showing unknown and said, "Unexpected Error Occurred. Out of Memory".

The SQL box is always out of memory because its a SQL server. Any ideas?

• Gareth and Dirty,

Three suggestions:

1. For any Exchange monitor issues, I'd recommend trying the new Exchange templates I posted in the Content Exchange here.  I've written a blog post on these new templates here.
    2. For any Process monitors using WMI or Windows Service monitors using WMI, try changing the fetching method to RPC.  There are known issues (Microsoft is aware) with using WMI.
    3. If neither of those suggestions help, please open a support ticket so we can investigate.

HTH,

Craig