This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Windows Machines and APM

We are considering moving from ipMonitor to APM because of the aggressive pricing seen ths week.  We are troubled though at what seems like a overly "network centric" application that still doesn't seem to "do" Windows very well.

For instance, it seems that during a discovery, we only have "network options" available.  What about discovering out of a directory service structure like eDirectory or Active Directory?  Or even out of some asset management system?  We also have some serious asset data in our directory like location, city, who manages the device, etc and this wealth of data seems to be useless to ipMonitor or APM.

Why cannot these applications utilize the VAST wealth of information available via WMI on a windows box?  Eveything is available without even installing an agent?  Ever heard of powershell?

We're also looking to "group" machines and applications using data in our directory.  For instance all the Exchange Servers are in their own organizational unit but again, APM seems unable to utilize this.  I even notcied that authenticating via AD was only recenlt added and not even transparently, but they have to type in their credentials again on a form.  This seems very antiquated.

Is there integration I am missing?  Or are the users of APM mostly network people who happen to have application and server managment thrust upon them and they don't know what they are missing with many Windows management tools?

Comments are welcomed.  :)

TIA.

• Orion APM is very Windows centric as it supports both WMI as well as Power Shell scripts.  I have never used APM as a standalone (that was only very recently made possible) but if you are suggesting that it's network centric is it possible that you are using Orion NPM?

What I can tell you is that all of the things you are trying to do are possible with an NPM & APM combination which works very well for us.

• We are looking at APM in standalone mode.  I have since found that alot of data requires SNMP to be setup and running on the server.

• You can poll SNMP data with APM if it's configured on the systems that APM is managing.

The real question is what are you ultimately trying to accomplish, what are your goals for your system?  Depending on how you answer that question, APM Standalone may or may not be the best solution for you.

• "Why cannot these applications utilize the VAST wealth of information available via WMI on a windows box?  Eveything is available without even installing an agent?  Ever heard of powershell?"

In APM you have the ability to monitor using SNMP, WMI, Powershell, VBScript, Perl Scripts and more.