This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Will it decrease load on my polling engine if I put components into the same application template?

We've been building out all sorts of application monitor temlates and it turns out most only have a single component in them.

We didn't think this was a big deal until now:

ctech291_0-1607662796275.png

"SAM Application Polling Rate: 126% of its maximum rate. Polling intervals incrase if the polling rate exceeds 100% of the maximum rate"

As we work to fix the issue, we had the idea, "What if we combine similar components into a single application monitor template and then had a single application with 5 components poll every 5 minutes?  Is that better than 5 applications with one component as far as over-taxing the polling engine?"

We planned on combining like components into a like application monitor templates over the next few months, however, if it will help out the situation with the polling engine, then we can speed up that project.

Thanks~!

• If the amount of components that need to be polled is the same I don’t think it’s going to matter. If you have 5 applications with 1 component, compared to 1 application with 5 component monitors (assuming all the same components) the load on the polling engine should in theory be the same for each.

What really impacts the polling engine performance and rate is how many components are monitored and how often (frequency) the applications they’re tied to are polled.

Hope this helps and saves you restructuring the applications for no gain.
  • ^ application load is a little murky but is based primarily on component count and types of components.  Each non-stacked polling engine should be good for about 10k components, once you get past that you either need to start slowing your polling intervals or budget for buying a license for an additional polling engine