cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 11

What's next for the AppInsight concept?

AppInsight has been a big hit, so I was wondering, what's next?  Are we going to get to vote on where we'd like development to head?  Like AppInsight or Oracle, or AppInsight for Exchange, or  AppInsight for Citrix, or whatever?

Tags (3)
26 Replies
Level 10

+1  For AppInsight for Oracle the current template model is unusable.  We need access to things like

Table Space monitoring for auto extensible table spaces

Locking alerts to alert when one user has held open a record that prevented another user from accessing for x minutes

Alert Log alerts

Heavy SQL queries

Active Session Count

TNS Listener Status (multiple listeners)

Product Manager
Product Manager

Anyone interested in chatting about what something like AppInsight for Active Directory might look like? I'd love to pick your brain on a call. Ping me and let me know if you are interested...there would of course be thwack points involved

0 Kudos

I would be interested in getting our AD master mind on the phone with you all to discuss this katieb.

That's great! I'll send you some more details.

0 Kudos
Level 21

I think a user poll for what folks are looking for next with AppInsight would be interesting, some ones that come to mind are as follows...

• Active Directory
  • MySQL
  • Oracle
  • IIS
0 Kudos
Level 9

+1 for IIS

0 Kudos
Level 10

+1 for "AppInsight for Oracle"

Level 10

The AppInsight is a great addition in being able to monitor other key elements of the infrastructure.  The problem with these for a MSP is that, if they require WMI then it's not possible to utilise them.  Can't expect the MSP/Customer firewalls to be open for all ports so as to support wmi, nor is any customer going to start hacking the reg on production environments to restrict ports for wmi.  Will there ever be a way in which SolarWinds will support either remote pollers and/or proxy agent.

0 Kudos

With Microsoft ending support for SNMP after Windows 2012, we are aware there is a need to monitor hosts in a more firewall friendly fashion. Stay tuned for more information on that front.

0 Kudos

Do you have any documentation on this?  I just tried searching and couldn't find anything regarding MS ending SNMP support in future releases.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos
Level 7

Exchange 2010 + 2013

0 Kudos

AppInsight for Exchange is now available for beta testing. We'd love to get your initial thoughts and feedback on what we've implemented thus far. Sign-up, download the beta, and drop us a note in the Server & Applications Monitor Beta forum and let us know what you think!

0 Kudos
Level 13

Adding the AppInsight for Oracle using equivalent metrics as the SQL one would be great. Exchange would also benefit.

Building pages to have columns be a percentage of the available screen instead of the number of pixels would be easier to develop dashboards.

Level 21

I would love to see Exchange and MySQL on the short list.

0 Kudos

Ditto on AppInsight for Exchange, this would be huge for our team.

0 Kudos

My web team would LOOOOVE AppInsight for Microsoft IIS....

0 Kudos

Development of the next AppInsight application is already underway, but I can't let the cat out of the bag just yet. I will be updating the "What we're working on" post in the next week or so with more details. I am however curious to know what applications you'd like to see get the "AppInsgiht" treatment, as I am busy developing the requirements for the following release.

Please be specific in your requirements. Our intent is not to do AppInsight for "Everything". There are certain applications that lend themselves better to the AppInsight treatment.  Either because there's really no way of gathering the necessary information using templates (most expensive queries, users connected, SQL Agent Jobs, etc), or the process of effectively and efficiently monitoring aspects of the application is tedious and error prone because objects are dynamic and unique to each instance or environment (for example individual SQL database status and performance metrics in AppInsight for SQL).

So when describing which applications you'd like to see get the AppInsight treatment, be thinking about how or why monitoring of this application would be improved, simplified, or solve problems by providing information currently difficult or not possible using application templates today. If we already have a template for the application, tell me what you're not getting out of the existing template today that you'd like to see added, and why. It's this specific feedback from customers like you that will truly define the road map of AppInsight in SAM.

0 Kudos

I agree with Joe Dissmeyer and telethwack, both IIS and Exchange are great candidates. I would also love to see this concept on UCM/Unity Connection servers.

0 Kudos

So what information would you like to see collected for AppInsight for Exchange and IIS that is either not possible, or extremely difficult using traditional application templates today?

0 Kudos