This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

What is the best option for stopping alerts during scheduled maintenance?

I was curious if there was a better option than unmanaging a node or application to stop alerts during maintenance. Unmanaging seems to work fine, but when it goes back to managed it sends out alerts that say the application is in an unknown state. I realize the "unknown" state was not part of the out of the box application alert but we have had several servers that would loose their remote RPC/WMI ability on reboot and give an unknown status. We wanted to know this so we could go and reboot them again; which almost always solves the issue.

• Can I suggest you define the alert condition for "unknown" to trigger only when the condition has existed for 2-3 polling intervals? This might allow you to squelch nuisance alerts when re-managing, while continuing to be alerted when nodes become unresponsive to WMI or RPC.

• The only other option than what aLTeReGo mentions would be to disable the alerts during the outage window or disable the alert actions until you have confirmation that all systems are back up from the outage.  You do run the risk of missing alerts on other devices though.

• A few people are going to groan when they see this because I talk about it so much - but as long as you know which boxes need are going into maintenance and there's not too many of them, you can use a MUTE custom property (a yes/no field).

For more details, do a search on thwack for "stop the madness". You'll find it there.

• Searched the help files and thwack forums and it appears this question has yet to be answered.  We have a fixed schedule for maintenance on weekends based on each time zone.  How can I unmanaged devices when the start and end times are the same, but need to be adjusted by each time zone?