This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Web Based Alert Manager - Painful

I am unable to see all of my applications and cannot create a trigger for a known application name. The drop down stops at the bottom of the screen.

Unless I am not seeing something with this "White Out UI" approach, can someone confirm this is a bug?

Using Firefox.

Web Based alert management UI is cumbersome.

.ALERTMGRISHORIBLE.jpg

• Same problem in IE.

I cannot even type in a name that is not shown.

This is not good, I need to create monitors asap. emoticons_happy.png

ALERTMGRISHORIBLE-ie.jpg

• This field supports type ahead, so simply start typing the name of the application as it appears in the "All Applications" resource and it should begin filtering the results as you type. I should note however that it may take a moment or two for the results to begin filtering. 

Type Ahead.png

• When I typed in H earlier none of my http* named apps came up. I will try again tomorrow.

Sometimes a web UI doesn't offer the same experience as a Win32 app. This is one of them. But I understand the direction of the product.

• Doesn't work....I'm at a point of having an unusable product.

http not here2.jpg

Where is AppInsight IIS? Why can't I create any alerts based on this new app?

iis app insight not here.jpg

iis app insight not here2.jpg

• AppInsight for IIS and any new product features introduced in SAM 6.2, (as well as those in NPM 11.5, SRM 6.0, VMAN 6.2, WPM 2.2) and any other introduced in the future will only support the new Web Based Alert Manager. The Legacy Win32 Advanced Alert Manager remains available only for backwards compatibility with previous releases in the event alerts that previously worked in the Win32 application do not work with the new web based alert manager.

Since Type Ahead isn't working for you it would appear you are in an unfortunate predicament. As a stop-gap measure I suggest typing the name (full with "equal to" or partial with "contains). The list picker is not required, but it sure is convenient. I would also suggest trying an alternative browser to see if it works there. Obviously this it not intended behavior so I still suggest opening a case with support so we can determine the root cause.

• I cannot begin to tell you how lame this web based alert manager is.

I'm seriously disgusted with the step backwards. I cannot effectively/quickly create alerts on the hundreds of components if I cannot see them in the picker. Keywords DON'T HELP when there are hundreds of components.

So sick of how SolarWinds is such a non automated tool and requires so much work for the most basic stuff. Again, SCOM makes things so easy that SolarWinds does not.

Venting, yes. Because I cannot even create simple AppInsight IIS monitors without spamming 200 emails to my team.

Thanks to whoever pushed this garbage through and signed off on it. Such a brutal step backwards.

• Apologies for the difficulty with the new alerting interface sir. If the type-ahead isn't populating, this is certainly a bug we should address. Is there a support ticket # I can follow-up on?

In regards to spamming your team, we did introduce a new fail-safe feature in 11.5 to warn if the alert would immediately trigger. We should see a new warning above the "Submit" to create an alert:

3-30-2015 9-57-19 AM.png

• Yes. I love that feature. As well as many others. But the web based alert manager as whole with all the micro drop downs and lack of object views make it extremely painful for people actually using it in the field with 1200+ servers.

Again, someday I hope you produce a classful framework like SCOM for managing objects. It's simply a much better way to manage monitoring. Doing all by hand with SolarWinds is a painful bloated experience. Lack of overrides for AppInsight is a killer.

But like I have said before this is something SW sales people do not understand and managers that lack monitoring management knowledge do not understand.

Rant over.