This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

WMI query fails due to bad reverse lookup

Since I couldn't find an answer in the forums and had to track down an issue I figured I would share my findings.

WMI queries to a particular server were failing and I couldn't get them to work. The only message the tests from APM provided were Unable to connect to "x.x.x.x" for WMI access.

I opened up wmimgmt.msc on my SolarWinds server and was able to connect to the failed server in question so I coudn't figure out why it wasn't working.  I'm not sure what led me down this path but I did a reverse lookup on the IP address and found it didn't match the name of the server in question and in fact was a completely different machine to begin with.  I then tried the same test from wmimgmt.msc to the IP address and not the name and it failed.  

After some internet research I found that by default a WMI query to an IP address (the manner in which APM sends) automatically does a reverse lookup and if it gets a successful answer back sends the query to the name it received from its lookup which in my case was the wrong server.  As I understand it had the reverse lookup not returned a result the query would have gone to the original destination of the IP address.

Sure this is just another reason in a very very long list of reasons to keep your DNS entries clean and up to date but this one took me about a day and a half to figure out...Now I'm waiting on my support team to remove the invalid entry from DNS.

Like I said I scanned these forums for this particular issue and couldn't find any other threads referencing this problem so figured I would share.

• Follow up.  As soon as the invalid entry was removed from DNS the APM components worked normally.

• Thank you, thank you, thank you! I had this exact problem.

• This is Absolute answer for the issue of WMI we normally face.

In case we cleared all troubleshooting and imagine WMI is configured properly on target host / node, but still if WBEMTEST and SolarWinds showing test failed, the final thing we need to check is the DNS entry for the target node / host. If DNS Forward and Reverse Lookup entries proper for the node then WMI test will pass successfully.

The above answer should be marked as proper. Thanks  @Mike Driskell

• So glad to come across this post, as it's a great reminder to keep DNS clean and updated. We have a picture w/haiku hanging in our office that reminds us: 

It's not DNS
    It couldn't be DNS
    It was DNS

:smileyvery-happy:

Someday I'm going to write a PowerShell script that will validate PTR records in reverse lookup zones and notify us of any missing ones. Someone has probably done this already, though?