cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 21

WMI on Windows Server 2012

We are trying to add a Windows 2012 Hyper-V server to Orion but are having trouble getting WMI configured so that Orion can poll it.  Has anybody else had problems with this or have any suggestions on how to get it working properly?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
Product Manager
Product Manager

Are there any firewalls or router ACLs that might be blocking the WMI communications from SAM to the Hyper-V hosts? Have you looked through our WMI Troubleshooting Guide? -> http://www.solarwinds.com/documentation/apm/docs/APMWMITroubleshooting.pdf

0 Kudos
Level 21

There are not any firewalls, routers, or ACLs in the way.  We have tried most of the steps in the guide you have provided but will try and go through and do the few steps we may have missed.  What is odd is the problems we are having seem consistent with Windows 2012, we haven't had any WMI problems (outside of the normal issues you expect with WMI) on any of our Windows 2008 R2 systems.  I am wondering if there are special things that need to be done to get WMI working on Windows Server 2012.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

I'm monitoring a number of Windows 2012 servers in my lab without issue, and without any unusual steps required on the server to get WMI working. Are you able to browse for Services on this node using "Browse For Component Monitors under [Settings -> SAM Settings[? Have you tried using wbemtest.exe on the Orion server to connect to your Hyper-V host? Was that successful?

0 Kudos
Level 13

aLTeReGo wrote:

I'm monitoring a number of Windows 2012 servers in my lab without issue, and without any unusual steps required on the server to get WMI working. Are you able to browse for Services on this node using "Browse For Component Monitors under [Settings -> SAM Settings[? Have you tried using wbemtest.exe on the Orion server to connect to your Hyper-V host? Was that successful?

aLTeReGo, do you remember having to change any settings? For me, WS2008R2 works out of the box (for SAM polling purposes) while WS2012 R2 doesn't, unless I disable the firewall. E.g. is your firewall on? Are your 2012 nodes domain-joined? Could you try managing one that is not domain-joined and with the firewall on? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Most machines managed in my lab are not joined to a domain, nor are most of my Orion servers that I have monitoring. You may find the following Microsoft KB article helpful in configuring the Windows firewall to allow WMI through.

Level 13

Most machines managed in my lab are not joined to a domain, nor are most of my Orion servers that I have monitoring.

Thanks aLTeReGo. Firewall?

Edit: my mistake. WS 2012 R2 does work for SW polling out of the box through firewall by enabling remote WMI.

0 Kudos
Level 21

I am glad you have working, that gives me hope that it isn't some odd problem associated with Server 2012.  I did browse for component monitors, that is how I tested to determine the problem seemed to be specific to WMI.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Could you please also try to enable remote management on the targeted Windows Server 2012? To do that simply open Server Manager -> Local Server and in Properties enable Remote management. If it is already enabled, please try to disable it and enable it again.

If your 2012 servers are deployed over the network with tool which doesn't fully support installation of Windows Server 2012, this setting will say it is Enabled even though it is disabled. We didn't run into the same problem when Windows Servers 2012 were deployed manually.

This was the initial issue which we had to resolve for Windows 2012 servers in our environment and I can say that polling of our Windows 2012 works even with UAC turned on.

0 Kudos
Level 21

I should also note that we use WMI on Windows Server 2008 R2 all of the time without any problems.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi!

Did you figure this out?

I have exactly the same problem. None of the registry edits work, UAC slider is down, etc.

Nothing seems to help

Win 2008 R2 WMI works like a charm.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Level 13

I had the same issues, and was not able to communicate with the 2012 server. By creating the LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy reg key (Description of User Account Control and remote restrictions in Windows Vista), it fixed my issue.

0 Kudos
Level 21

Thanks for the suggestion; however, this didn't resolve our problem either.  This is a really frustrating problem when I hear that other people are able to do this without a problem and without any special configuration, it makes me really want to know what I could possibly be doing wrong.  We have two different systems that are standard Windows Server 2012 installs and both have the same problem of not being able to monitor via WMI.

0 Kudos
Level 8

While going through the Microsoft Website I found out that WMI Query Doesn't work in Windows Server 2012 R2 or Windows Server 2012 because of a memory leak in the WMIprvse.exe process. 

Here is the detailed Article :-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/3103616/wmi-query-doesn-t-work-in-windows-server-2012-r2-or...

0 Kudos
Level 10

Byrona,
Were you able to use the registry key change I suggested?  I've had 100% success when I modified that value to 0 instead of 1 in the registry.  Also, are you using a Domain authenticated user or a local user to poll the devices?

0 Kudos
Level 21

I have not yet tried that but I can give it a shot and let you know what I find.  The question I have is what exactly does that key do?

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hey Byrona!

A colleague of mine may have found a better way to deal with this. It is still a registry change but it is an add.  Basically, what we are doing is modifying the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System key by adding a DWORD value called LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy.  Setting this value to 1 allows us to poll servers via WMI.  I've tested it and it works.  It does not require a restart of the server and I have toggled the value from 1 back to 0 and SAM\NPM could not poll the device until the value was reset back to 1.

It is from a Vista KB article but it seems to work in 2012. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951016

0 Kudos
Level 21

Thanks for your continued work to help on this; however, this also didn't work.

This was a fresh install of Server 2012.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Wow really? Ok.  Is this domain joined and are you using a domain user or local user?  I assume you have the UAC slider all the way to the bottom. Can you see anything in the security log of the target server when you try to poll it? Is the target server on a different network?

0 Kudos
Level 10

It effectively disables the UAC component.  I've done it as a test and I'm able to poll my servers but the problem I have is that if I do this I know I might be reducing functionality or breaking parts of the MetroUI.  Also, who's to say Microsoft comes up with a patch that resets this value back to its default.

Disabling User Account Control in Windows 8 - Yash's Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi Andrej,

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately this did not resolve my issue.

0 Kudos