This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

WMI and NAT

appearantly it does NOT work???

I am assuming WMI uses the same screwed up mentality as WINS.

My server is 1.1.17.100 on Orion and NATS to 10.4.2.100 before it gets to the server, i see the traffic get to the server and then for some reason i see Orion trying to make connections to 10.4.2.100.

• The behavior you're seeing is inherently caused by the way DCOM is architected.    (And WMI is built on top of DCOM, so...).    When the client machine connects to the server machine via NAT in order to create the WMI DCOM object, the DCOM return packet contains a list of network addresses for the server machine.    The client machine will then try to ping the server machine via all of those addresses (IP addresses, DNS name, etc), and will use the first address that successfully responds.

In short, DCOM does not work through a NAT unless at least one of the NAT'd server machine's network addresses is visible from the client machine.    The best way to get this to work, is to somehow see that the DNS name of the server is resolvable from the client machine via the NAT machine.

Inability to translate network addresses within opaque network payloads is a well-known limitation of NAT and it shows up in other application protocols besides DCOM.

From http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=102054&SiteID=1