cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

WMI Credentials

Jump to solution

Can someone point me in the direction of the specifics for the WMI credentials needed for application monitor please?  My server team is asking for more details and I would like to see if I can send them a concise document on what the account needs.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

The problem is that short of having an admin account the exact permission vary depending on which products you are using and which features you want to use.

For the most basic server monitoring then just being a member of dcom readers and the ability to hit wmi works, but depending on what exactly you need I n addition to basic server stats you tend to need to add permissions from there

https://support.solarwinds.com/SuccessCenter/s/article/WMI-requirements-for-SolarWinds-accounts

- Marc Netterfield, Github

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Product Manager
Product Manager

noki42  wrote:

Can someone point me in the direction of the specifics for the WMI credentials needed for application monitor please?  My server team is asking for more details and I would like to see if I can send them a concise document on what the account needs.  Thanks.

SAM 6.9.1 System Requirements

0 Kudos
Level 8

Thanks for the response.  To give a little more detail, we have security and server teams that want to make sure they know exactly what rights and privileges the WMI process needs to have to connect and share information with solarwinds.  I had found a detailed list at one point, but now I can't seem to find it again.  Does anyone have information on setting up WMI itself and what permissions it needs to function properly with solarwinds?  Thanks.

0 Kudos

The problem is that short of having an admin account the exact permission vary depending on which products you are using and which features you want to use.

For the most basic server monitoring then just being a member of dcom readers and the ability to hit wmi works, but depending on what exactly you need I n addition to basic server stats you tend to need to add permissions from there

https://support.solarwinds.com/SuccessCenter/s/article/WMI-requirements-for-SolarWinds-accounts

- Marc Netterfield, Github

View solution in original post