This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Using SAM as a "alert gateway"

Hello,

I inherited a Solarwinds setup that I have been working on fixing and improving. One of the things that we implemented was alert routing to appropriate groups based on the custom fields. This is very helpful in cases when Server Team is responsible for a hardware, but Application Owners want to receive an alert when the app fails on that server. Everything is working nicely, however, now that we have these alerts tuned in, alert email templates look nice and neat, we would like to use Solarwinds to "manage" alerts that come from other systems. Is this even possible? Does anyone know a way to have other system send an email to Solarwinds and then Solarwinds send the alert?

• SAM is not really dialed in to be an aggregator of alerts from other non-orion tools.  You can send traps/syslogs into SAM and trigger on those via Log Analyzer, but Orion doesn't have the internal infrastructure for things like tracking alert status in another tool unless you roll your own custom integrations between the two tools.  It's been done many time (we have a guy at Loop1 who basically just develops custom integrations full time) but it's not something most people can put together based on a thwack post or two.

• I used a program called Email to DB which read an email box and then forwarded the body of the message as a syslog to Solarwinds. You could also spin up a small Splunk instance and do the same.