cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Unable to poll processes via WMI on Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

Jump to solution

We have around 10 Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter servers being polled via WMI that we are unable to retrieve processes via the real-time process explorer. We are able to view the services and event logs but no processes. See below for the error. We've only noticed it happening with Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter. We are able to poll processes, services, and event logs for Windows Server 2012 R2 (non-datacenter) with no issues. Any ideas?

Capture.JPG

1 Solution
Level 10

After doing quite a bit of research we finally found the solution to our issue. We are still researching the exact cause but do believe it’s related to VMware tools. So, here is what we did check to see if there was an issue locally followed by the command we used for our fix.

We added the perfmon counter, Processor -> % Processor Time -> _Total, as shown below.

perfmon_counter.png

This counter as well as many other perfmon counters never displayed data until we ran the following command.

lodctr_command.png

After we ran the command lodctr /r the counters appeared in perfmon and within 5min or so we were then able to run the process explorer, and monitor services within Orion without any error messages.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490926.aspx

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Level 10

After doing quite a bit of research we finally found the solution to our issue. We are still researching the exact cause but do believe it’s related to VMware tools. So, here is what we did check to see if there was an issue locally followed by the command we used for our fix.

We added the perfmon counter, Processor -> % Processor Time -> _Total, as shown below.

perfmon_counter.png

This counter as well as many other perfmon counters never displayed data until we ran the following command.

lodctr_command.png

After we ran the command lodctr /r the counters appeared in perfmon and within 5min or so we were then able to run the process explorer, and monitor services within Orion without any error messages.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490926.aspx

View solution in original post

Product Manager
Product Manager

Is this limited only to the Real-Time Process Explorer? Are you able to monitor processes on these servers that are monitored as part of any of our out-of-the-box application templates, such as the Windows Server 2003-2012 Services and Counters template? Also, have you tried using the "Component Monitor Wizard" to browse for Processes running on those hosts?

I just checked my lab and I'm not able to reproduce this error against my Windows 2012 R2 Data Center host. Please also verify that the node is managed in Orion using WMI, and that the credentials used have local administrator permissions on the monitored host.

0 Kudos

Hey aLTeR, I'm working on getting additional info with screen shots, but for now when I apply and test on the Windows Server 2003-2012 Services and Counters template, I'm getting the following...

Also, the device is managed and I'll follow back up with the WMI permissions.

Windows Server 2003-2012 Services and Counters template.JPG

0 Kudos

Based on the screenshot provided it looks like you're unable to connect either WMI or RPC. Have you verified there is no firewall or router access control lists between the Orion server and the monitored server that could be blocking communications? Also, how is the WPSANSQL01 node managed in Orion? Is this node being managed via SNMP or WMI? (From the Node Details View click "Edit Node")

0 Kudos

Hey aLTeR, it's been crazy around here! So here is what I've gotten so far. Not the best, but our group seems to have to always have to prove why something does not work. Anywho...these are all being polled via WMI, no SNMP, but we are moving these few boxes to SNMP until we can figure this out. That being said, no firewall of any sorts is blocking us, everything has been disabled for testing. Our WMI account is in the local administrators group. I've verified with our AD group and they have been working with security which based on past experience have modified the WMI access. We've told them is not vendor supported so I'm thinking that is where we are now. Well, from the node details page only the services, and event logs pull up and the process explorer returns that message. When I used the component monitor wizard I'm able to see the processes, check the ones I want to monitor, create a new application and I receive the same message (unknown) on the application details page. To further test, I've created an application monitor with two WMI process monitoring components and two WMI service monitoring components. One WMI process and service monitor component were polling via WMI and the other was polling RPC. All four returned the (unknown)  status. I'm working with our security team now to see what all we can find and I'll post an update here. Also one of our AD guys mentioned something about WMIv1 and WMIv2, which if our security team did "improve security" this could pose an unknown issue.

0 Kudos

Could it be something like Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process - Invalid Class ? If you are able to list processes in wizard but not do regular poll, then it sounds like problem with acessing process performance counters.

...or something like Unexpected error occurred. Invalid query (using WMI); cause Cold Fusion 9 counters ?

Great find Petr! We are looking at that now and I'll let you know and reply to this thread with what we find. Just for the record, we believe it to be an issue with our environment and NOT ORION. We have also opened case #581523 as well.

-- Adam

0 Kudos