This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Unable to Disable Hardware Health Monitor

althI have 4 ESXi hosts that I'd like to remove Hardware Health Monitoring. Unfortunatley, when I do a List Resource on any of the four servers, I don't have an option to uncheck "Hardware Health of Servers". I've tried removing & re-adding the devices, but Hardware Health is added back immediately. Any ideas? I'm guessing there is a way to do this in the database, but this sounds like a bug.

On a side note, anytime I check the "CPU & Memory" option I never get any CPU or memory information for these servers. SNMP is working just fine. I'm able to get hardware, VM & OS info.

Disable Hardware Health.jpg

• I had a similar issue that I posted about http://thwack.solarwinds.com/thread/49470 and was told it is controlled by the poll for VMware and cannot be disabled.

Hardware health monitoring cannot be disabled for VMWare ESX hosts without also disabling "Poll for VMWare". Hardware health is just another metric we collect as part of the VMWare monitoring.

• Wow...I see you had to jump through a bunch of hoops before someone actually explained the root problem. Thanks for sharing that link. I didn't find it when I searched.

I actually have a case open right now because my Vcenter server is in a different domain & subnet than these ESX hosts. So, we are polling the ESX hosts directly rather than through Vcenter. My issue is that every 30-40 minutes the Hardware Health monitoring on the ESX hosts goes into Undefined. So far, they've told me that I need to open up my firewall to allow my Orion server to access the Vcenter server, which we are not going to do.

I would like to just stop monitoring hardware health on these servers altogether while retaining the Vmware monitoring.

• Yeah with how Alterego explained it that is not possible in the manner it's configured.  I wanted to do the same thing.  As for the hoops I didn't initially realize it was only ESX servers or I think I would have gotten an answer quicker (at least I hope I would have)

• Hi Dirty South

Please what's the case number. I am currently working on something very similar and another information could be very useful. Thnaks