cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 8

Unable to Connect Error - Service Monitor

I'm setting up a new node in SAM for a Windows 2012 R2 server. I want to monitor some specific services. I've added the monitoring user to the admin group, and I've opened up the firewall for SAM to access. But I still get the 'unable to connect to <server> as user <account>. I'm not sure what to look at next. Is there anything in the logs that would give me an indication?

Thank you,

Tom

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Level 10

I found that the use of the Inherited permission worked. The node was using the permission for the user fruitblet\svc-swi and it works via the inherited, but when used directly it does not work for the SAM monitor. Very odd.

Im getting the same on one server, highest level of permissions available for the polling account, Polls the device fine but with testing a new application monitor against some services on the machine, it says

Unable to connect to "XXX" for WMI access. Unable to connect to server "XXX" as user "

WMI works fine! Windows firewall is off and set to manual

0 Kudos

Were you able to find a solution to this issue? I am having a similar issue as well.

0 Kudos

Same issues here when trying to create and implement the SolarWinds Windows Update monitoring template.

0 Kudos
Level 8

I'm also curious if there was a solution

0 Kudos
Level 12

tfoster2501​ any chance you figured out what the issue was?

0 Kudos

please try the following:

open a mmc on the Orion Server with the user you want to use to monitor the services, add snap-in , add computer management, do not use the local machine but try connecting to the failing server with that snapin (you need to specify \\servername)

if that works we need to check otherwise, if that doesn't work there is something wrong outside of Solarwinds

0 Kudos

That worked. I was able to MMC, Add Snap-In, select Computer Management, specify the name of the server I want to monitor, and have Computer Management successfully load for the target server.

0 Kudos

Alright, so we know most remote management functionality is there. Could you try to monitor the node via wmi and then inherit the credentials from the node in the SAM Template. This is to check if it is a credentials issue.

0 Kudos

I get the following error:

Server unavailable using WMI. Unable to connect to <IP Address> for WMI access. Unable to connect to server <IP Address> as user <Domain\MonitorAccount>.

0 Kudos

Could you check here: Test remote WMI connectivity

I am not sure if you can monitor the Services over SNMP... I have to check that.

0 Kudos

I performed the WMI test, and got results back as the test indicates I should.

0 Kudos

Looks like a tough one. at the moment I am out of ideas that do not need any "remote connection" from my side to actually "see" the issue. if you want, we can try to figure out a way to do a quick remote session

0 Kudos

It's strange. Shortly after I ran the WMI test, the application monitors that utilize WMI began to work, and I was seeing data. But when I checked this morning, they are in unknown status with the 'Server Unavailable' error once more.

0 Kudos

Intermittent errors are the worst...i guess this will take a while to find out.

0 Kudos

Is the node already added into the "nodes table" and is it only giving the error when you add the SAM Template, or do you already face the issue when adding the node itself.

0 Kudos

I'm attempting to add the node. I could ostensibly add the node - I'm using SNMP, and the other monitors come back just fine. It's any service-based monitors I'm trying to add.

0 Kudos