cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synthetic Testing of Multiple Services

I know I've seen several mentions of synthetic testing in the past and even found a PDF for SolarWinds Synthetic End User Monitor, but I can't find an actual product that does this.

I see Quality of Experience monitoring, but nothing actually performing some of the synthetic testing.

What I'm getting at is, how can I ensure services such as DHCP, DNS, or websites are loading and functioning in an acceptable time-frame?

I would like something to perform DNS look-ups and ensure the response is both correct and received within a few milliseconds.

I would imagine this being an agent you could install on a Windows or Linux server, preferably something that could run on Raspberry Pi and toss in a closet at some of our remote sites.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jblankjblank Product Manager
Product Manager

Re: Synthetic Testing of Multiple Services

There are lots of different options through both of these product Richard:

Website Monitoring Software | SolarWinds

Server & Application Monitor | SolarWinds

0 Kudos
aLTeReGo Product Manager
Product Manager

Server & Application Monitor includes User Experience Monitors for the services you listed and more. These are synthetic operations.

sturdyerde
Level 13

jblankjblank​ and aLTeReGo​ are (obviously) right. I'll just add that the "user experience monitor" components in SAM ​do specifically monitor and report on the response times for DNS queries and DHCP requests.

Do these products require a polling engine, or can these tests be performed by a remote agent?

I'm trying to confirm WAN sites where I have no need for a server or a polling engine to live.  I would like to have a raspberry pi in the closet just doing these health checks.

Not a server in the data center checking against servers in the same data center.

0 Kudos
aLTeReGo Product Manager
Product Manager

Most would require an Additional Polling Engine if you were wanting to monitor anything other than the machine where the agent was installed, but the Agent can be used as a remote probe for HTTP & HTTPS User Experiance Monitors to monitor multiple different sites/endpoints.