This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Some Very Important Things Missing from HTTP/HTTPS/Content Check Component Details - Can We Add?

FormerMember
FormerMember

Please see screencap. We need the VERY IMPORTANT variables URL and Search String added into the Component Details screen.

Has anyone found a way to do this?  

Thanks,

Mike

• A list of the variables can be found in the Alerting and Reporting section of the Admin Guide. Here is a list of the SW APM variables. (You may need to scroll down to see the entire list. Also, poke around that chapter). Hope this helps.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Bronx

Hello Bronx and Danielle- 

Sorry, you are not getting my point.  My Point is that there is a need for me to see the ${URL} and ${Search String} variable values in the Component Details screen or somewhere available as a resource to add to the Component or Application Details screens. Currently, these are only available for alerts, reports, and the like; and NOT in the APM resources. 

A similar question to the developers. Why provide a field in the Component details screen called 'Message' and not make it available to the Administrator to populate with anything? 

Please see screencap:

And while I am on a beef, where does the User Notes field populate when filled with information?  It's not showing up on any details screen. 

Please see screencap:

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Small Update:

Regarding the Message field; I found this Thwack link:  

that demonstrates that the 'Message' field is only populated with alert messages when the component is down. It's an unfortunate label name. 

Developer Request:  Please change the 'Message' field in the Component Details resource to something more descriptive like 'Alert Message'. 

Still wondering if anyone else has been able to place APM variables within the Component or Application Details views, however. 

Thanks,

Mike 

• You can change the name of the component to reflect the URL and Search String.  This information is also a click away on the Edit Application Monitor screen.

The Message field is based on the response of the template.  Some templates have messages regardless of state, the HTTP(S) monitors don't.

There is also a Feature Request forum that you can use to submit changes, I'd recommend posting your Dev Request over there.

• Hi Mike--

Since this post is part question/part feature request, would you mind posting your Dev Request in the APM Feature Request forum?  This way the community can view and post their vote if they find your request to be needed as well.

Thank you,
    DH

• Please see screencap. We need the VERY IMPORTANT variables URL and Search String added into the Component Details screen.

There's currently no way to do this today, but it is being tracked internally as FB93705

• A similar question to the developers. Why provide a field in the Component details screen called 'Message' and not make it available to the Administrator to populate with anything? 

The message field is used predominantly in script monitors as an optional message field for returning debug, diagnostic or message strings related to the returned statistic. This field is not exclusively used for alerts or errors, and as such is not named as such. Most information in the message field is informational only.

• And while I am on a beef, where does the User Notes field populate when filled with information?  It's not showing up on any details screen. 

Currently these fields are only viewable/accessible when editing the application or template, and can be optionally passed in an alert as an alert variable through the Advanced Alert Manager. These feature requests are being tracked internally as FB94428 and FB89005.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to bobross

BobRoss-

Point taken on changing the name, thanks, I thought about that strategy.  However, it opens up a maintenance nightmare if a single parameter changes in  the URL or the search string.

As far as editing, others cannot see the URL or Search String details unless they have Node Management access. Best practice is to keep Node Management to a minimum of people.  

Sincerely,

Mike 

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to aLTeReGo

Hello AlterEgo-

One final question before I concede and happily await a possible Feature grant:  Is there any way we can include a report on the Component Details or Application Details screen that harvests the URL and Search String information from each component?

Thanks,

Mike