This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Solarwinds Agent not sending data

FormerMember
FormerMember

Well, I thought I was finished with this but looks like I am not.

We just installed the agent onto a server that is behind a firewall and it has been there for 4 days. It has not reported anything to the server. It seems almost as if its either not polling or just not sending the data. We have the port open that we decided to use and have it configured on both ends. The Manage agent page shows it is all in the green. We have the resources set to show CPU, RAM, and Partition information yet we aren't getting anything.

We have opened the Orion Agent settings on the box itself and verified information there but we noticed a username and password field. We tried using the local admin account and a domain admin account to see if maybe it was missing a vital piece of information but it just returns invalid username or password. I have checked the certs and the right cert is installed on both the monitored server and the poller. I am at wits end with this because not a single step has been easy about deploying this "easy to use agent". I have pulled the logs and the only thing popping is an error about RPC service not starting and AgentAsyncSendWork gives a pretty lengthy error that I cannot find anywhere on the interwebs.

AgentAsyncSendWork::AgentAsyncSendWork - device ID [BlockedOutForSecurity(JustInCase).AMS], poll based [0], allow persist flag [1], send failure response [1], MessageID [9d8acf7e-786a-435f-9956-163c9d6e649e]

I hope one of you fine IT brethren and sisters can help a fella out.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

• How is the Agent managed? Are you using "Active" Agent Initiated Mode, or "Passive" Server Initiated Mode? Is the host you are trying to monitor behind a NAT?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to aLTeReGo

It is just behind a firewall. We do not use NAT. We are trying to use it in Active mode. I think I may have figured out the issue though. Our service account isn't an admin in Orion and is a domain account. I found in some threads not related to this one that the error we got when trying to put in an Orion admin account credentials was due to it being a domain account and not local to Orion. Does this sound like it could be the issue?

• The Agent doesn't require credentials for basic server monitoring except if you are pushing the Agent out from the Orion server through the web interface. Can you edit the node itself through [Settings -> Manage Nodes] and verify the server is managed via the agent?

Manage Node.png

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to aLTeReGo

Yes, the node is managed through the agent.  I just checked the node and we had an update window last night. They rebooted it after the updates and it started reporting statistics. It's weird that it started reporting after that reboot though because we did one after installing the agent. Thank you alter for your assistance.