This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Service: Network Connections down?

One of the components of the Windows Server 2003-2008 Services and Counters application monitor is "Service: Network Connections". However, within our VMware enviroment, this service appears to go down regularly, without any adverse effect to the server running it. If one connects to the server via RDP, suddenly the service is running, but after a period it stops again. Has anyone else seen this behavior before? Monitoring this component has proven to be troublesome since it apparently isn't an essential service, but makes the node appear to be having problems.

• I would recommend either using the default out-of-the-box "Restart a service" alert action in the Advanced Alert Manager to automatically restart this service for you, or disabling this component within the assigned application if it's not an important service to monitor in your environment.

• I am having the same issue on a couple domain controllers.  However, these domain controllers actually DO have some sort of problem.  Both experienced a power outage, both auto restarted, and something is not quite right.  Both of them are up, issuing DHCP, resolving DNS, and they are pingable.  BUT, I cannot RDP into them, and our network monitoring tool (SNMP-based NMIS) says the node is "degraded" because SNMP is down.

Meanwhile, the *only* problem that SAM sees if that the "Network Connections" service is down. (I used WMI/ICMP for monitoring in SAM)

Even stranger, I told SAM to "restart the service" on one of them, and it restarted, and now that domain controller is green across the board in SAM.  But NMIS still says degraded, and I still can't remote into the server.  In short, everything is definitely NOT GREEN!  I am using the following monitoring templates for my domain controllers:

Active Directory 2008 R2 - 2012 Services and Counters

Windows Server 2003 -2012 Services and Counters

Windows DNS Server

Has anyone ever seen this?  These servers are brand new Dell R320 servers running Server 2012 R2.

• What is NMIS monitoring to determine the host is in a degraded state?