cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Servers moved to Virtual How do we monitor for services that may move.

Jump to solution

Background:

We have had  serveral of our servers move from physical to virtual in some sort of clustered environment.

We are using hyper-v to set up the virutal serves and the clusters..

Question:

For all those servers where I have been monitoring services, or process locally that may now be running on any one of say 3 custered servers.. how do we monitor for a service or process when it may be running on some non-specific node?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

I actually hate to respond..

Everythign was working as designed..

the virtual clustered servers under the Virtrual resource were being montored perfectly just like a regular physical server.. the service however was moved by a Server ADMIN and he never bothered to tell anybody thus it showed down on the monitor but up for the user..

technology is only as good as the communication between technical service departments.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Product Manager
Product Manager

Provided the IP address of the virtual guest Server OS doesn't change (which it shouldn't) APM will continue monitoring regardless which Hyper-V host is actually running the guest. 

0 Kudos

While they are virutalized the monitoring still works just like you said.. (IP is still good) but when they fail over to one of the Clustered or farmed servers.. (which we dont know which one or when...) then the APM's seem to be non-effective giving wrong results (as far as the users are concerned ) their applications are still running they are happy.. it is Orion's fault we are giving wrong alerts.. 😞

Any ideas?

0 Kudos

Without knowing what the errors you're receiving are it's hard to guess. I would recommend opening a case with support so we can troubleshoot this issue further. It may be something simple like access control lists, firewall policy or even a possible routing issue; but without taking a closer look at your configuration and environment it's difficult to make a reasonable guess as to what could be causing the problem. This is definitely unusual, and not expected behavior.  

0 Kudos

Thank you I will open up the case...

0 Kudos

Jwerlein--

Please post back with your ticket # and keep us updated with your progress.

Thank you!
DH

0 Kudos

I actually hate to respond..

Everythign was working as designed..

the virtual clustered servers under the Virtrual resource were being montored perfectly just like a regular physical server.. the service however was moved by a Server ADMIN and he never bothered to tell anybody thus it showed down on the monitor but up for the user..

technology is only as good as the communication between technical service departments.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos