This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Server Serial Number

FormerMember
FormerMember

I just imported the "server serial number" template into the Orion APM engine. I can now see the server's serial number via the APM module. How do I create a report to give me a list of all the Windows servers with their coresponding serial numbers?

• Is this the one you imported? 

There's no reason to do this in an APM template - if you need the serial numbers as reported by Win32_BIOS, just run a quick powershell script and feed it all your system names. Run it whenever you need the updated information.

If you have a file with your systems in it called 'systems.txt':

Get-Content .\systems.txt | ForEach-Object { $serial = (Get-WmiObject -ComputerName $_ Win32_BIOS | Select-Object serialnumber).serialnumber; Write-Host "Computer: $_`nSerial: $serial" }

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mrxinu

The reason I want to be able to run a report from Orion is for my Manager. He would much rather run a report from the Orion console then have to worry about a powershell script. I was hoping a report like the "Cisco IOS version" report could be created for Windows Server Serial Numbers. If I have the APM already pulling them via WMI I would think I could have Orion run an inventory report for it as well.

• In that case, the script should work as advertised. The serial number is getting returned as the 'message' value and should be in the poller status table alongside the other statistics, but I don't think that value is exposed in the report writer. If not, you'd have to create an Advanced SQL report which would require some poking around in the custom poller status tables to find it.