This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Scheduled Application Discovery

We're trying to implement a mostly automated "base monitoring" configuration in one of our Orion instances. One of the roadblocks we're running into is that often times, depending on the application that a server runs, we might have minor differences in alerting logic, so I can lay down a mostly accurate high level picture of how alerts should work, but I still need to see all of the applications the servers run to be able to really give the business the type of alerting logic they want.

I'm trying to identify a way to schedule a discovery of applications that are running on a server. I could make a bunch of SAM templates and do manual scans every week, but I'm hoping there's an easier way or maybe that someone has a better way to solve this.

The end goal would be to have something like:

• if process = 'splunkd.exe' AND sysname LIKE '%splnk%' THEN add to group "Splunk Servers"
  • if process = 'splunkd.exe' AND sysname NOT LIKE '%splnk%' THEN add to group "Splunk Forwarders"

On an aside, it would be pretty cool if SAM could schedule and store the "Real-Time Process Explorer" list of processes for each server.

pastedImage_2.png

Then the "Group - Dynamic Query" added the option to say something like "process is 'splunkd.exe'". It would make it super easy for us to discover applications by process name and put them all into groups.

pastedImage_1.png

On that same note, the "Group -Dynamic Query" would probably want to give the ability to 'Add condition' with operators (such as AND/OR), so we can get a bit more granular on the logic there. Or just let us write out SWQL.

Thank you all for being a fantastic community!

• Hello.

I like your idea but I don't know how to achieve that though. Indirectly and manually you could create a new app template with just 1 component ( process monitor and in your example splunkd.exe"). Then you assign this app template to all servers. Ten minutes later all servers where this app template will show as up status (green) you will know that Splunk is running on them. Now your dynamic grouping rule should work:

• if splunk template = up AND sysname LIKE '%splnk%' THEN add to group "Splunk Servers"
    • if splunk template = up AND sysname NOT LIKE '%splnk%' THEN add to group "Splunk Forwarders"

Remove all the templates showing off/red as otherwise they'd be seen as application down and you'll be flooded by alerts.

Best regards,

Steffen