This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SSL Certificate Expiration Monitor - Flapping

Hi All,

I'm working on our SSL Certificate Expiration monitors and we have a small set of monitors that are flapping up/down and sending us a ton of alerts. What I'm seeing is that the Certificate Expiration monitor will go down with the following message:

Invalid SSL certificate. Authentication failed! Closing the connection... Exception message: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception.

The buffers supplied to a function was too small

Then it will come up again about 5 minutes later and be all happy again for a few hours and then do it again. Rinse repeat. On the outset, there doesn't appear to be any major differences between these servers and the ones that aren't throwing the SSL Expiration monitor errors. I thought it might be a DMZ thing, but we have other servers in the DMZ that aren't throwing that same error. The only thing that I'm finding as a common denominator so far is that the most vocal ones appear to be from servers hosting an app called Aspera.

I'm running SAM 6.2.4 and NPM 12.0 with a scheduled update for SAM tomorrow. Does anyone have any thoughts on why this might be happening?

• We have the same problem. The affected component monitors also throw this error occasionally:

Exception message: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception. The message or signature supplied for verification has been altered System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception. ---> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The message or signature supplied for verification has been altered

• I've been working with Solarwinds on this. They originally provided me with a BuddyDrop that fixed the issue, but that broke with the latest update of Solarwinds.

They provided me with a new solution that I implemented this morning that involved changing the timeout on the probe, so we will see if that works.

• So I worked with Solarwinds and we were able to come up with a solution. As it turns out, the SSL Expiration Date Poller was timing out, so we simply did the following:

1. Backup the SolarWinds.APM.Probes.dll.config file
    2. Stop the Services
    3. Update the SolarWinds.APM.Probes.dll.config file from SSLExpirationDatePollingSettings MaxConnectionAttempts="1" to SSLExpirationDatePollingSettings MaxConnectionAttempts="3"

Once I did that, the false alerts stopped happening. We also noted that we had a legitimate SSL cert that was expiring and we still were getting that alert. So everything worked out.