This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SQL filter on group membership

So I am trying to create an Application view of a group of nodes.  Meaning, I want to see a list of all applications being monitored by nodes in a group.

If I create a summary view, open SAM Application Summary Reports, and check off All Applications Tree, I am able to Preview the view, Edit the item, and use Filter Applications (SWQL) to set up a filter, but I do not know if it is possible to then build a filter based on group membership, instead of something like Caption, or a Custom Property.

Thoughts?

• Have you considered using view limitations based on custom properties?

• View limitations are unreliable in NPM 10.4

• In what ways are view limitations unreliable?

• When I create a Summary View and add the resource "All Nodes - Tree (AJAX)", then create a View Limitation using "Single Group", and select the group. The expectation is the view would now be constrained to the View Limitation I imposed. However, nothing is constrained, and All Nodes are still displayed. Which implies that I cannot use the View Limitation at all, it is useless and I cannot find out how to harness its functionality to constrain a view other than entering a View Limitation using the "Single Network Node" option, which in and of itself is not dynamic and is cumbersome to manage.

• The issue I believe is in how you are using groups. Groups were designed to be used for root cause analysis, dependency mapping, and alert suppression. For account restrictions, view limitations, and resource filtering you should be using custom properties.

• Forgive me, but i'm using View Limitations based on the options NPM is presenting. Its not like i'm trying to use it in a custom manner. When I click on Edit View Limitations, among the options i'm presented are:

Single Group                    Limit the Account to a Single Group
    Group of Groups              Limit the Account to a group of selected Groups
    Group Name Pattern        Limit the Account to a group of Groups with similar Group Names

This is my expectation, that when I select one of the above option, the view is limited based on my selection. If this is not the case and NPM does not handle this type of Limitation, then the options above should be removed.
    Why put something there I can't use?

Furthermore, I don't see an option to edit the View Limitation by Custom Property, with the exception of editing each individual resource, which becomes quite cumbersome to manage when I have to rename or edit a custom property.

Message was edited by: solarwooky

• Correct. The "Groups" account limitation was initially designed to filter only "Group" views, not as a replacement for custom properties. However, the groups account limitation in NPM was recently extended to support additional uses, including more robust usage with account restrictions and view limitations. SAM 6.0,, currently in beta. also supports additional enhancements to the way "Groups" can be used for filtering view and restricting account access.

The reason you aren't seeing the option for account limitations based on custom properties under the user account settings is that these must be created using the "Account Limitation Builder" located on the Orion server as a Win32 app under [Start -> Programs -> SolarWinds Orion -> Grouping and Access Control -> Account Limitation Builder]

• Aha. Just what I was looking for. Missed that one. I'll have a look at SAM 6.0 beta and give it a test run on a dev box somewhere.

Thanks ">aLTeReGo