cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

SQL Server User Experience Monitor - Connection Timing Out

I have an application template that is made up of one component - the SQL Server User Experience Monitor. I have this template applied to 1600 of our store VMs that detect failed jobs. However, i am getting quite a few connection timeout errors such as:

"Sql Server returned an error. A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

And

"Sql Server returned an error. Connection Timeout Expired.  The timeout period elapsed while attempting to consume the pre-login handshake acknowledgement.  This could be because the pre-login handshake failed or the server was unable to respond back in time.  The duration spent while attempting to connect to this server was - [Pre-Login] initialization=3714; handshake=11333;"

When i run the exact same query that's in the SAM component via SSMS, i have no issues. Some of these VMs do have latency issues, but i can still connect to SQL and execute the query via SSMS on my own machine and the polling engine(s).

I have upped the "Query Timeout" in the component configuration screen to 600 seconds...no way these queries are taking longer than that. Especially since i can execute via SSMS in less than 10 seconds most times (never seen it exceed 34 seconds in SSMS)...However this is not helping my issue since this is a connection timeout and not a query timeout.

None of my polling engines have the SAM APPLICATION POLLING RATE percentage exceeding 80% either.

Is there a way to have Orion only trigger the alert when it detects a failed job and not a connection timeout? if this is possible, would i bake it into my query or would this be a setting in Orion?

Is there another way to up the connection timeout? i feel like there's a config file somewhere that can be edited.

0 Kudos
0 Replies