This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SQL Server Query on alternate port

There has GOT to be a way to monitor SQL when it's not using the default port 1433 ...right??? Please tell me this is possible. I have numerous SQL boxes using alt ports for several reasons. Any info is appreciated.

• Do you have SQL Server Browser service running on those boxes? If so, then APM should be able to connect to SQL server even when it's running on a non-standard port.

Other option would be to use ODBC User Experience Monitor instead of SQL Server User Experience Monitor.

Also, what are you trying to monitor? SQL Server exposes some performance data as Performance Counters so you could use Windows Performance Counter monitor.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

If you do go down the ODBC User Experience route as suggested (we do this for different clusters/instances and such) the connection string is simply:

Driver={SQL Server};Server=${IP},62681;DataBase=;Uid=${USER};Pwd=${PASSWORD};

Andy.

• Thanks, I'll double check to see if the Browser service is running. I think I looked for the ODBC User Experience Monitor and couldn't find it. The downside to that is setting up the individual monitors you get with the built in SQL Query template, which is what I really want but those all seem to use 1433 by default. I tried setting up aliases but that failed as well. The SQL monitors that use performance data DO work, just not the ones making actual queries.

Update: I confirmed the browser service was running on my test node. I don't see the ODBC UE monitor when I look at all App Templates. Am I missing something?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to t0ta11ed74

ODBC UE isn't a template it's a component monitor - are you looking in the right place?

• Sorry for the late reply, but I was able to find the ODBC UE monitor and create a set of queries that are like those of the built in ones and then run them against the cluster IP. Thanks for the help!