This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SQL Alerts

Hi guys, recently deployed NPM/SAM/DPA and noticed there were only 2 out of the box alerts for SQL (DB file size and latency).

Which SQL metrics are the most critical in your experience as I need to create more alerts for the SQL environment.

Found this Alert which i have setup for failed jobs Success Center

Would appreciate any feedback!

Thanks

• Create an alert for the main SQL Services down or High SQL process CPU.

Most of the Perf counters are all subjective and create unnecessary noise if you enable any kind of OOB alerts for SQL AppInsight.

• I'm very reluctant to create alerts on SQL just for the sake of having more alerts and looking like we are doing something.  Database performance is very fussy with lots of competing interests to balance and they are almost always is running at the limit of what the business is willing to give.  You almost never walk up to a DBA and say "Hey you know this system has high latency?" and they didn't already know about it, they've likely been in ongoing conversations with the storage team weighing the cost/benefits of various changes for months. 

I typically focus on things like creating DPA alerts for things like instances being down, sql agent job failures, failover events, deadlocks, and exceptionally long running jobs/queries (usually something like more than 8-24 hours kind of things).  Then we have to talk to the DBA or application owners specifically about issues that they experience that they would consider to be not normal and tailor the alerts to their specific pain points.  If an legacy app is sitting around as the last thing associated with some end of life storage array and it has terrible disk performance I don't need to constantly email the team about it if they already know and are just letting that system limp along until the end of it's useful life.

• Thanks for the responses all emoticons_happy.png

• Hi mesverrum

Would it be possible to leverage the existing counters in AppInsight to get email alerts for the for the following metrics.

Lock Waits/sec

Deadlocks/sec

Lock Wait Time

Total Size: Percent Change 24 Hrs

Percent Log Used

Longest Transaction Running Time

Need to alert out of Orion as we need to open tickets in ServiceNow which is not available in DPA.

Thanks

• Thanks, basically im trying to trigger an alert if Deadlocks per/sec goes over a certain value.

Not sure if the below is correct?

2019-12-02 16-49-24.jpg

Does the critical value need to be set in the template?

• Yes, its probably set at a baseline level now. Have you looked at the 'Edit' template mode for that server object its assigned to?