cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Highlighted
Level 9

SAM WMI vs Agent monitoring

I just upgraded to SAM 6.2 and among other things, deployed the agent to a few servers for some testing. When I changed the servers polling mode from WMI to Agent, I got a warning that all historical data not supported by the new mode would be deleted, along with a link to 'polling mode comparisons'. The problem is the link really didn't say much with regards to what is supported by each mode. One would think that the agent would likely be able to do pretty much everything the other modes could do.

One thing I noticed in my 'Manage Nodes' page is that the servers that I deployed the agent to no longer can be expanded to show the NIC, Physical Memory, Virtual Memory or volumes. Is it not able to monitor these? Can the agent monitor everything, or are there things it can't monitor that WMI can?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Re: SAM WMI vs Agent monitoring

The Agent provides parity with WMI managed nodes. That includes things such as Volumes, Interfaces, Hardware Health, Asset Inventory, applications, etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

How does the agent handle component monitoring? I currently have several monitors set up using WMI monitoring to look at processes and other metrics that I need to keep an eye on. When I go to add a component to the monitor, my only options (for a process monitor, for example) are 'Process Monitor - SNMP' and 'Process Monitor - WMI'. Does the agent poll WMI or SNMP locally and then send the data back to the SAM server via its encrypted communication channel rather than WMI?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

There is not Agent specific method selection within the UI. You will use the Process Monitor - WMI when using the agent. The Agent does not do any SNMP data collection at this time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

So if you select the WMI method, does the agent grab that instead and not do anything with WMI, or is WMI still involved in the data collection process?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

It depends and may vary by component type, but basically for all WMI based components WMI is still involved - the difference is that agent does just local WMI requests which are typically easier (and thus more reliable) than remote ones.