This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SAM Application Monitor behavior

I have set up an application monitor to watch for Acrobat Reader, and if it's CPU usage stays above 18% for more than 10 minutes, to set an orion alert and to send an e-mail out detailing what server it's happening on, and when the problem is gone, it sends out an all clear e-mail. This is working fine. The only thing I'd like to see different about it is to only report on it if it's there and if there's a problem in the Solarwinds Console. Right now, if it's not there, it shows as down - Is there some way that I missed to set it up so that if it's not there, it will either simply not report anything, or maybe unavailable, and only report an error if the problem is present? Obviously, I don't care if Acrobat Reader isn't running at all, and I really don't care if it's running and behaving - I only care if it's running and is constantly using pretty much any measurable CPU resources.

• The component you're working with is usually applied on an application that you always expect to be running. It may make sense to move this into a PowerShell monitor but that involves a bit of configuration overhead. You would then be able to check on the process, its CPU consumption, and finally what exit status is thrown based on that information. You could have the component return UP for an active application at/under the CPU threshold, DOWN for an active application above the CPU threshold, and UNKNOWN for no application present.

• SAM 6.2 includes the ability to ignore "down" state if this is deemed normal for your application to occasionally not be running. When configured the application will appear in a blue "Not Running" status instead of a Red "Down" state.

Not Running.png

Not Running Result.png

• Nice, Thanks! Just upgraded from 6.1.1 to 6.2 and made that change to the monitor. Perfect!