This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

SAM Agent - what information do you get with no application templates deployed?

I'm trying to work out what information the SAM agent will provide if you deploy it to a server but don't deploy / use any application templates.

I've found this article:

SAM licensing model detailed - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

which gives some clues:

• Asset Inventory data collection: Asset Inventory data collection does not count against your SAM component monitor license.
  • Windows Scheduled Task Monitor: The WSTM consumes five license units per node.
  • Agents: Agent software is free. You remain bound by license limits regardless of whether you poll information via an agent or another protocol.

Do you get any server health information or basic monitoring?  For instance, if you wanted just to monitor the status of a Windows Service and alert if it stops, does that consume a component license?  What about server hardware health on HP ProLiant or Dell PowerEdge?  Or CPU/RAM/NIC use and throughput?

I've tried to look on the online demo but it seems SAM is broken in that at the moment.  Is there a list anywhere?

Thanks!