cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

SAM 6.2.4 Port Requirements

Jump to solution

In reading through the release notes for SAM 6.2.4 it specifies in the Before your upgrade! section that SAM 6.2.5 has new port requirements.  Specifically it lists TCP/5671 (Rabbit MQ messaging), TCP/177991 (Agent comms to server 2008 R2), and TCP/17778 (SW Info Service, Agent Comms to Server 2012).  My question is does this traffic originate from the polling engines to monitored nodes or are the comms over these ports end point/node initiated to the polling engines.   Trying to determine requirements for firewall rules.

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Well, we can summarise shortly, that RabbitMQ is alternative for MS Message Queuing (MSMQ).

But it says nothing, how it is used by Orion.

If the main question was "Do I need configure RabbitMQ TCP port for nodes monitored by Agent?"

So then answer is no - it is used just for communication between services which runs on Orion poller servers.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
Level 12

Great thing about the agent, it allows you to decide what's best! Either (Orion) Server/Poller Initiated or Agent Initiated communication. Here's an older blog on how that works. Port information aside you can still determine from the blog how communication routes are demonstrated. SAM 6.2 Beta - Because Sometimes You Feel Like A Nut - Part 2

mbussey - Thanks for the reply.  I'm aware of the ability to have monitored nodes with the SAM agent in stalled to either initiate comms back to the pollers or visa versa.  My question is specifically aimed at the new port requirements.  If these new ports are only for the SAM agent then I know the answer to my question.  But there was no mention as to what exactly tcp/5671 (MQ Rabbit Messaging) is used for.

0 Kudos
0 Kudos

Well, we can summarise shortly, that RabbitMQ is alternative for MS Message Queuing (MSMQ).

But it says nothing, how it is used by Orion.

If the main question was "Do I need configure RabbitMQ TCP port for nodes monitored by Agent?"

So then answer is no - it is used just for communication between services which runs on Orion poller servers.

View solution in original post

tomasv - Perfect answer.  Exactly the information I was looking for.  Much thanks!

0 Kudos

RabbitMQ is used between APE's and Primary engine to communicate. It's not SAM specific and is part of the core Orion architect. If the port required for RabbitMQ isn't accessible Orion will attempt to fall back to using MSMQ. 

To be clear though, both ports 1801 (MSMQ) and 5671 (RabbitMQ) must be open bidirectionally between all polling engines, correct?

Does either port need to be open to/from the SQL server?

0 Kudos

I can add that note to the documentation to help understand what the RabbitMQ port is used for. Thanks, mbussey​!

0 Kudos

There's also confusion on RabbitMQ place into SW infrastructrure... Should the service be running on APE or only on Primary engine? how to check queuing and health from the APE or AWS point-of-view, etc... A Success center search does not provide that either Search - RabbitMQ

0 Kudos

The RabbitMQ queue is used by Orion components to send event messages. SWIS on the main polling engine reads queue and forwards messages to subscribers. Other queues are used by subscribers to receive notifications forwarded by SWIS.

So whole mechanism is used just by Orion poller machnies and Orion Agents don't use it - because Orion Agents don't need for their jobs.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Had a typo - "TCP/177991 (Agent comms to server 2008 R2)" should have read TCP/17791 ....   The port # was the typo.  Sorry for my fat fingers

0 Kudos

I tried to use this page to install an agent on a cloud instance.  As it turns out, port 17790 is the correct port for server-initiated communication with the agent.  I'm putting this here just in case someone follows this thread in the future.

0 Kudos

Hey there! If ever needing a link to follow and bookmark for ports and Orion Agents, check these:

Very enlightening.  That was indeed what I was looking for.

0 Kudos