cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

[SAM: 2019.4] CPU & Memory Alerts

Hi guys

I am running one of the latest versions of SAM trying to follow instructions in THE ULTIMATE CPU ALERT

I am having difficulties putting all the pieces together, especially "Processor Queue Lenght":

• Counter: “Processor Queue Length”,
  • Instance: (blank)
  • Category: “System”

How should I configure this to make it work with what's explained in the article?

image.png

Cannot find any guide how to do this.. any link with Counters mentioned, component wizard did not help neither.

I guess it should result in providing some values, not only UP/Down status..

@aLTeReGo

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 18

Here's a screen shot. Don't forget that if you are using the query verbatim, you'll need to name this component "Win_Processor_Queue_Len.

Also there's been a significant improvement from @jbiggley 

https://thwack-upgrade.solarwinds.com/docs/DOC-177271 

In any case here's the screen shot:

2017-06-28+15_13_41-Edit+Application+Template+-+Alert+Monitor.png

Leon Adato | Head Geek
------
"Measure what is measurable,
and make measurable what is not so." - Gallileo

Hi @adatole 

Thank you for reaching out to me! It was actually your SolarWinds YouTube episode that made me think of this, including a corresponding eBook about moving beyond simplistic monitoring.

Yes, I have my template and component configured exactly the same way you see it on your screen shot. The only concern I had about the data provided (graph on the top), showing nothing.. but finally today I noticed a busy server (graph below):

image.png

Example:

Alert here would not be needed in this case - CPU > 90%, but Processor Queue Length is 0. Result of IIS AppPool Processing something.. eventually dropped down and handled the queue..

image.png

So seems like this part is done, the rest is easy (it's nice in this version of SAM number of cores already exists in SolarWinds DB and no need to use a stored procedure).

Question #1 - how do I know what options I have with Counters - what can be used, are they listed in some documentation? Same would apply to Page File Utilization, Memory Pages Per Second, etc. These are common, but is there any list/document how to configure them? Where to find them?

Question #2 -  Processor Queue Length and other indicators - let's call them "support data" are needed so be discovered using app templates (in those backend processes). Those can have multiple components, but what I am worried about is license limitation/polling engine limitation because when I do some simple math NumberOfServers * NumberOfComponentsNeeded = could be thousands. With PowerShell, I use up to 10 outputs in one script=one component, but that is easily thrown away when I assign these kind of performance counter components.. I guess this is how I should approach it anyway, by design..?

Question #3 - In this particulatr case, what polling frequency would you recommend for Processor Queue Length component?

0 Kudos

Hi @adatole 

I've configured this CPU alert and seems like we got from one situation to another - from too many CPU Alerts to none at all.

####################

Trigger Condition:

All child conditions must be satisfied (AND)
Node - Status - is not equal to - Down
Node - Status - is not equal to - Unmanaged
Node - CPU Load - is greater than - 90 (for more than 15 min)
And
Node - Status - is not equal to - Down
Node - Status - is not equal to - Unmanaged
Component Alerting Properties - Component Name - is equal to - Processor Queue Length
Multiple Statistic Data - Statistic Data (Numeric) - is greater than - Node - CPU Count

####################

I really like this approach, intension is to avoid false positive alerts and see the benefit of correctly sized servers, but this way we miss even valid alerts and bacame completely blind.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thank you.
Jan
0 Kudos