This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Restricting access Virtualization Summary

I am trying to limit the access in the Virtualization Summary tab. I created a new tab menu, cluster and data views to work with, I am not able to browse any lower than the ESX cluster object, it says loading then stops there after a few seconds. In this ESX cluster there are several ESX hosts and numerous VM guests, not all of which are managed devices/systems. Is there someway to do this or is it not feasible to achieve this. The default tab and views also produced the same affect. The VC node is grayed out as are the DataCenter node and ESX cluster node. Is there an issue with credentails maybe, have to use separate credentials or is this just not a possibility.

I would really like to have this ability to just limit to specific group of systems, we have a large VM deployment.

• If your ESX hosts are managed through your vCenter, whatever credentials and the view permissions associated with those credentials provided to Orion when adding the node is what's accessible through the Virtualization tab.

What exactly is the use case you're trying to achieve? Maybe there's another different/better way to go about this in Orion. Are you trying to restrict who can see which ESX hosts in Orion? Are you trying to restrict/limit which VM Guests each Orion user can see?

• Yes, I am trying to restrict the guests that can be viewed per user. Want to have views per application system which is composed of multiple servers, etc.

• You can use the account limitations to restrict what users have access to view in the Virtualization tab, though inheritance of the tree structure to access the guests will still be visible, but users will not be able to click on any objects in the tree they don't have access for to view more details. Also, any unmanaged/unmonitored VM guests will also be visible in the Virtualization tab regardless of view/account limitations.  

Remember, you can also remove the Virtualization tab for users and manage the guest VMs as normal host nodes. This may be simpler/easier for users to understand.

Before Account Limitation

Create New Account Limitation restrictions to a single node "lab-solaris10"

After Account Limitations

Hope this helps.

• It works but you have to enable management of the ESX host object as well. I tried that just on a hunch and it started giving the view I needed.