This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Resource consumption by Windows Event Log Monitor

Hi,

I am interested in knowing how much CPU resource is being used by the Windows Event Log Monitor for example when it is set up to check the log every 5 seconds or 2 seconds.

I know there is a way to view the overall resource consumption for a specific node, but I am just interested in how much CPU does the concrete task consumes.

Also since I am new to SAM, I am not really sure I understand what the Polling Frequency and Polling Timeout means.

I think that the Polling Frequency is how much time in the past the event log will be monitored, for example if set to 60 seconds, that means that we will only look for error in the event log in the past 1 minute. That also probably means that 1 minute after the monitor has found an error, it will go green again.

The Polling Timeout on the other hand should be how often we query the event log, every 2 seconds or every 5 seconds for example.

Let me know if my assumptions are correct, because I had hard time finding them in the documentation.

• The WIndows Event Log monitor CPU resource consumption has never been measured in such a finite test, but I can say that it would be so negligible that it would be very difficult to measure at just a fraction of 1%.

Polling Frequency: This is the frequency where by the application will be polled. The default value is 300 seconds (5 minutes).

Polling Timeout: This is how long the template will continue to try and poll before giving up (timing out). This value should never be greater than the Polling Frequency.