This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Report Writer need only servers in report.

Hi I am new to Solarwinds and have been tasked my management to create utilization reports that show uptime. The reports I create show dozens of pages with ALL the nodes including all the NIC and Cisco interfaces. There are over a thousand nodes.  Is there a way to create a report or filter our the interface nodes so the report will only show  the servers we monitor and not all the extra nodes and Cisco interfaces stuff.

1) Servers by CPU Usage (%)    Top 25 for last week

Source -  Target  -  Average-  Min -  Max

2) COO Weekly System Availability Report - Previous Week

Device | Uptime |  Downtime Percentage | Downtime in Seconds

3)  Servers by Disk Capacity

We are running Orion Platform 2015.1.1, SAM 6.2.0, QoE 2.0, NPM 11.5.1, IVIM 2.0.1

Thank you,

Scott

• Reports can be filtered only to "Servers" using the "isServer" property type as shown below.

isServer property.png

• Hi aLTeReGo, thanks very much for helping me. I tried creating a new report using your information but I get an error "Query is not valid" when I select that IsServer option. I have tried selecting this option for both existing reports and new reports that i try to create.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks again very much

ScottReport_Error.jpg

• What version of SAM are you running? The "isServer" property was newly added in the SAM 6.2 release.

• We just upgraded to the latest version.

Orion Platform 2015.1.1, SAM 6.2.0, QoE 2.0, NPM 11.5.1, IVIM 2.0.1.

I get the same error "Query is not valid" on both our production and our fresh Orion dev installation.

Thanks again for helping

Scott

• Sorry folks - looks like there is a recent regression added. The IsServer property is a boolean value but it's erroneously being treated as a Y/N value... and failing.

We'll track this as item "CORE-997". Within this entry, I've enclosed a workaround which myself or a colleague can provide as part of an open support case.

sdejong123: open a support case and reference this thread, we'll get you past this in a jiffy.

• Hi Peter,

Thanks for the help, do you have the workaround? I did not see it attached to you comment.

I have opened a Case with SolarWinds regarding this error, this is what they said.

"Thank you for contacting SolarWinds Technical Support.
    My name is Ken and I will be working on this case with you.

Looks like this may be a bug.  In order to push this forward I will need you to collect diagnostics from the system.  This will allow me to push this on to the developers.  I have been able to recreate the issue so I will be able to gather the screen shots required.

I am not sure how many systems you have in your environment but it is possible to setup a custom property to identify servers and report based off that custom property while we determine what the issue is with the IsServer column. Let me know if you would like more information on the custom property. Also here are the instructions for collecting diagnostics and uploading to our system."

I will reference this thread.

Thanks again,

Scott

• > I've enclosed a workaround which myself or a colleague can provide as part of an open support case.

Our internal defect tracker has the private workaround in "CORE-997", which support is expected to relay to anyone affected on a case-by-case basis. The bug is going to be fixed in a future update so the workaround and this thread become obsolete.

I'll see if I can hunt down your case and move it along.

• Update for Case #797167 - "Query is not valid error from Dynamic Query Builder"

Here is the workaround from my case with Solarwinds

This is a regression which we're tracking as CORE-997. There's a set of workaround steps to bypass it. You'll need to perform these steps anything you reinstall / repair SAM.

1) Save a copy of the following file in a different folder you won't lose:

C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\Information Service\3.0\Schemas\OrionSchema.xml

2) Open this file and locate the line that looks like this:

<property name="IsServer" applicationType="Core.YesNo" type="System.Boolean" displayName="$Orion.Nodes.IsServer.displayName" groupBy="true" filterBy="true" events="u" />

3) Change "Core.YesNo" to "Core.TrueFalse"

4) Save the file, and the website should stop complaining with the error message "Query is not valid"

• sdejong123‌, I appreciate your willingness to help the rest of the community but I believe Peter.Cooper refrained from posting this information publicly because it is not an officially supported workaround. I'm glad to hear it resolved your issue, but I would be remiss if I did not honor Peter's original intent and clearly state for others in the community that this change is not officially supported, and may break other things unintentionally in future versions (beyond SAM 6.2). As such it's advisable to always make a backup copy before making changes such as these. A snapshot of Orion VM and database backup are always a good idea too.

This has been logged as a bug which we are tracking internally under CORE-997 and we looking to address this in a future release.